Wendi's Reviews > The Plague

The Plague by Albert Camus

May 13, 08

Recommended for: Tina
Read in May, 2008

What an interesting novel. Sarah had to point out to me how it is a metaphor of the Nazi's and the concentration camps. I read it totally at face value. I just wasn't interested in looking for metaphors.

I like the sociological aspects of the story: how the people react to being locked into their town; how other people use the plague to their advantage while their neighbors suffer; how others realize that the only thing to really do is fight the plague and it's effects.

I love the characters Tarrou and Rieux the most. Both to me are such wonderful men. They both represent the good of all people. I kept thinking that it must be a real honor to have been each other's friend. Tarrou keeps Rieux going and Rieux offers a sounding board for Tarrou.

The priest was a bit scary, although I do believe that God uses the ills of the world to call us to look inward and upward. I don't necessarily agree with his first sermon about how the town deserved the plague, that's too much for me. After Noah's flood, God promised to never do that again. And it's been my belief that God has a way of reaching out to us through less severe means. BUT that in times of flood, draught, hurricanes, plague, we need to turn to God, ask Him to help us find the peace in the situation.

That's the part that Tarrou got. He understood that even if he didn't outright say it. He realized that in this crisis, the people need to come together and work for the betterment of the community. In the New Testament, Jesus is always telling the people to care for each other, to love each other, to look out for the people who don't have as much as we do. I think this is what the priest finally came to realize as well.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Plague.