Gaylene's Reviews > Middlesex

Sep 28, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read in October, 2011

It took me a little while to get into the book. It was difficult to imagine how a brother and sister could choose to be partners in life and hide the fact that they came from the same family of origin. However, it was explained in the book that small villages in the Europe of long ago often had marriages between siblings. To think that the result of such a union might bring about unusual birth defects such as dual sex characteristics housed in one person is an issue I hadn't really thought about.

I was especially interested in hearing the story read aloud. I liked the reader of the CD and appreciated his ability to give each character an original and interesting speaking voice. I would switch from the written book to the talking book as time permitted.

I found the book very entertaining and yet also seriously thought provoking. I wondered what it is like to think of one's self as a "freak", a "monster"...when that label has not been earned in any way but simply acquired through birth.

From a thoughtful beginning to a rather chaotic and somewhat humorous end, the book certainly gave me some insights I would probably never have explored through another medium.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Middlesex.