Nely's Reviews > Fever 1793

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson

Feb 10, 12

bookshelves: e-book, own
Read from September 27 to 28, 2011

I can't help it, but I have a morbid fascination in books about plagues and other such catastrophes. It's sick, I know. But I'm always enthralled by stories such as these.

Ms. Halse Anderson's tale was a captivating one. At the beginning of our story Mattie is a young girl helping her mother at the coffehouse they own. She's stubborn, selfish (at times) and has big dreams of making the family business prosper. As the yellow fever epidemic spreads and the town and its residents either succumb to illness or have no choice but to run, Mattie grows into a brave and strong, young woman. A young woman who helps those in need and finds a way to make her dreams come true.

The story is based upon the yellow fever epidemic that struck Philadelphia in 1793 and killed some 5,000 people. Ms. Halse Anderson expertly captures the effects of the fever and how a whole city succumbs to it. I loved how descriptive the story was, making me feel as if I were living it with Mattie. With plenty of character development and excitement I found Fever: 1793 to be a very facinating read.

One last thing I'd like to mention, Ms. Halse Anderson includes an appendix at the back of the book with additional information about the people of the time and the epidemic as well as the factual people and events that she uses in her story. I found this very interesting and recommend that you don't pass up on reading that extra chapter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever 1793.