AH's Reviews > Chasing Magic

Chasing Magic by Stacia Kane

Sep 28, 2011

bookshelves: arc-netgalley, magic, dark, urban-fantasy, witches, zombies, zzread-apr-2012, babr-reviews
Read from April 19 to 22, 2012

Oh, Terrible….you make me feel so very happy when I sigh and say your name. Ms. Kane, how do you take huge, scary, ugly mob enforcer and make him swoon worthy? In real life, I would definitely run across the street and walk in the opposite direction if Terrible was around. When I read Chasing Magic, I found myself clutching my ereader to my chest and sighing….

Chasing Magic has Chess once again fighting her inner demons. If you recall from previous books, our heroine is a pill-popping, drug addicted mess of a church witch. She still is – that hasn’t changed – but in this book, her addiction puts her in real danger. The city’s supply of illicit drugs has been tampered with, creating crazy zombie drug addicts.

Book 5 of the Downside Ghosts series has a lot of action suspense, drama and some very hot sexy times. It seems that no matter what the plot is, all I care about is Chess and Terrible’s story. The plot itself, while entertaining, always seems secondary to me.

In Chasing Magic, Chess learns about the consequences of her actions. She learns that her unauthorized use of magic comes at a price, not only to herself but to others around her. Chess still struggles with her self-esteem and she continues to see herself as not worthy of Terrible’s love. Chess struggles with the Truth and worrries that if Terrible really knew her, he wouldn’t want to stay with her. Meanwhile, Terrible is very much in love with Chess:
“Shit. You so fuckin pretty, Chessie. True thing. So…ain’t even can breathe sometimes.”
This book marks Chess’ emotional journey as she realizes what she wants out of her life – and she wants Terrible. It feels as if she is finally getting it. Perhaps she can find happiness. I hope she does. But knowing Chess, it’s still a bumpy road ahead for her.

If you haven’t had a chance to start this series, the first book is Unholy Ghosts. It's not a comfortable read, but it is compelling and extremely well-written. The Downside Ghosts series isn’t for everyone, but if you enjoy dark urban fantasy, it’s a great series to start.

Michelle and I share our thoughts about this book on Badass Book Reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Magic.

Quotes AH Liked

Stacia Kane
“Shit. You so fuckin pretty, Chessie. True thing. So … ain’t even can breathe sometimes.”
Stacia Kane, Chasing Magic

04/19/2012 page 1
0.0% "Time for some Terrible." 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

Shelley OMG, I am having a major fit for being turned down yet again.

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Did you get the other one on the second request?

Shelley nope

Shelley They approve me on every other request I send them. This one of those they denied.

Shelley On days like today, I wish I was a reviewer for one of those 1,000 plus follower book blogs! :O(

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH We're not a 1000+ blog. I think it has to do with the phase of the moon sometimes.

Shelley It's absolutely stupid is what it is. I got approved from their children's division, but they canna approve me for these titles?

message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH How was that online book thing you attended? Was it worth it?

Shelley Absolutely! Lots of interesting information was passed out. Lots of different panels, and authors like Jennifer Estep and Jess Haines showed up. Plus, I get some awesome books! :O)

message 10: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Cool. That should keep you busy and reviewing for a while.

Shelley Ha! I just got approved, again, by Edelweiss for a title that NG denied me several weeks ago! AHAHAHAHAHAH! ::cough::

message 12: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH See - it is the phase of the moon, the color of the grass, and the signs of the zodiac. Maybe you should request this title from Edelweiss.

Shelley Trust me, if they had them, I would. As of today, they don't.

message 14: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH You should email Stacia and ask to interview her for the next book.

Shelley We have a giveaway starting on 03/20 along with Stacey Jay.

message 16: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Cool!

Jamie YEAH!!! I hope you like this as much as I did!

message 18: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH So far, so good!

message 19: by Amazon80 (new) - added it

Amazon80 It need more Terrible in my opinion but I will take whatever I can get ;-)

message 20: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Sadly, not much reading today and no time for the goodness that is Terrible. Hopefully I'll have some time this evening.

Wicked Incognito Now Hurry up and review!!!

message 22: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I'm so far behind. We're doing a group review on the blog. I liked Sacrificial Magic better, but this one is kind of cool. Still want to smack Chess, but a little less by the end.

Tammi Can't wait to read this book.

message 24: by Tika (last edited Jun 26, 2012 08:00AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tika Zombies! Now I really cannot wait for this release!

message 25: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Tika wrote: "Zombies! Now I really cannot wait for this release!"

It's good - Hope you enjoy it.

Barbara (VampAngel) I don't understand NetGalley at all. They didn't approve me for the 4th book, but they did for this one. I think I was lucky, since my blog is dead and I'm not even popular here. I think you are right when you say it has to do with the phases of the moon and what not.

message 27: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I think I asked for the 4th book twice. It never occurred to me to re-request. Sometimes it works.

message 28: by jD (new) - rated it 5 stars

jD Good Review! You hit on what really matters to me -- Chess and Terrible's love. I fully agree that Ms. Kane rocks w. the creation of these two anti-heroes. True Thing. LoL

message 29: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, jD! I think a lot of us read the series just to watch the Chess Terrible love.