Huma Rashid's Reviews > Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things

Stuff by Randy O. Frost

Oct 10, 11

Read from October 09 to 10, 2011

This book is incredible. I kind of exhausted myself writing entries about each chapter here at my book blog, but I'll try to recap.

It is very well written, and extremely engaging. I had a really tough time putting it down. Dr. Frost is a great story-teller, and he weaves his anecdotes and character/client studies with academic studies and statistics and the like.

His description of his hoarders makes you feel like you know these people - which is why I was so frustrated while reading this book. I feel like I understand hoarding a lot better now, even if I have little sympathy for hoarders (except in cases where hoarding is a manifestation of something truly serious, like PTSD, which is something that makes total sense to me, and something that arouses great sympathy in me).

The book is well-rounded, too: it discusses hoarders, it discusses hoarding, it discusses children who grew up in a hoarder's home, it discusses all the reasons why people can and do hoard, and it discusses treatment (though it is not a self-help book, despite the fact that I characterized it as such in my extremely rudimentary shelving system here).

It's a great read, and I'd recommend it to just about anybody. The topic is fascinating, and the book itself is extremely engaging, well-researched, and compelling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stuff.