Pixel Word's Reviews > The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan

Sep 29, 11

bookshelves: fast-paced-entertaining, health-food-fitness, inspirational, science, self-improvement, spiritual-enlightenment, technology, ★★★★★
Recommended for: everyone
Read in September, 2011

description

It boils down to this: As creatures who can eat many different things, how do we know what’s good to eat and what’s not? Human beings are omnivores. That means we eat plants, meat, mushrooms, and just about anything. But because we are omnivores we have very little built-in instinct that tells us which foods are good for us and which aren’t. This book will get you a little bit closer to your food (so to speak), or it will at least make you think twice before you take your next bite. Don't get me wrong, it will not turn you into a vegetarian (or at least I don't think it will), but it will definitely turn on the I-want-to-know-more-switch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Omnivore's Dilemma.

Quotes Pixel Liked

Michael Pollan
“Imagine if we had a food system that actually produced wholesome food. Imagine if it produced that food in a way that restored the land. Imagine if we could eat every meal knowing these few simple things: What it is we’re eating. Where it came from. How it found its way to our table. And what it really cost. If that was the reality, then every meal would have the potential to be a perfect meal. We would not need to go hunting for our connection to our food and the web of life that produces it. We would no longer need any reminding that we eat by the grace of nature, not industry, and that what we’re eating is never anything more or less than the body of the world. I don’t want to have to forage every meal. Most people don’t want to learn to garden or hunt. But we can change the way we make and get our food so that it becomes food again—something that feeds our bodies and our souls. Imagine it: Every meal would connect us to the joy of living and the wonder of nature. Every meal would be like saying grace.”
Michael Pollan, The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals