♡Karlyn P♡'s Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Oct 19, 2011

bookshelves: audiobook, genre-paranromal, genre-urbanfantasy, published-2011, read-2011, reading-challenge, genre-contemporary, steam-none
Read from September 28 to October 19, 2011

3.5 - 4 stars. Overall good, but definitely a 'Twilight' for grown ups. Instead of teens at a high school, they are adult professors at Oxford University. He is a vampire, a she a witch and his obsession. This is just part one (of an unknown number?) in a series where the H/h's story will continue. Many questions remain unanswered. The pacing reminded me a bit of Outlander with its rich details of each character and surrounding, detailed accounts of past events...etc. But for me it was too much (I didn't stick with Outlander, btw.) In places this story moved so slooooooow I thought of quitting. It's 600 pages (24 hours on audio) and so I expected more things to actually happen. Still, I was intrigued by the core story (view spoiler) enough that I may actually continue with this series.
10 likes · flag

Rebecca How is it? I will start it tomorrow.

♡Karlyn P♡ Hi Rebecca! I haven't actually started it yet, I plan to in the next few days though. I bought the audiobook for this one, and will start as soon as I finish Lethal by Sandra Brown. I'm looking forward to it!

♡Karlyn P♡ Have you started it yet Rebecca? I'm about 1/3rd through and really enjoying it! :-)

message 4: by Angelc (new) - added it

Angelc great review, karlyp!!

Rochelle Good review! I, too, thought the pacing was such like Outlander. I do think at one point she said that Matthew "sparkled" which made me giggle! Just like Edward! ;)