Reading Teen (Andye)'s Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Sep 28, 11

Wait. Wait. Wait. Let me gather my thoughts, my brain is still spinning from finishing this book about three minutes ago. I enjoyed devoured this book. It was like a tender juicy steak (Smoke and Bone) on a plate with juice (the words) running everywhere and every time I took a bite, I savoured every piece, every word. To me this book had such an amazing, romantic, powerful love story that it inspired me not to take my one and only love for granted.

I knew I was going to have fun writing this review, my fingers can't dance fast enough across the keyboard. What Laini Taylor did with the story about forbidden love between two people from two different worlds... was simply breathtaking. There was one part in this story that I literally gasped for breath. Now I know that sounds dramatic, but I was so mesmerized with the story, that I felt like I was floating. Every time I had to put this book down, I could feel myself being brought back to reality, down to earth. I would catch myself between different emotions, from my jaw dropping and staying that way for a while, to smiling from ear to ear. A book that can make you go through a roller coaster of emotion, is a book to be cherished forever... Laini Taylor did her job and perfectly, I might add!

Even though I am gushing about this book, I really have no intention of giving you any spoilers. I will tell you a few things that I enjoyed...

I loved the main character Karou, she is seventeen, she has such a great life. She lives in Prague where it is Gothic and beautiful. She goes to art school and owns her very own flat full of furniture from all over the world including a genuine Persian rug. Her ex-boyfriend is gorgeous in every way and refuses to believe they have broken up. Her best friend Zuzana, is spunky, a little fickle and irresponsible, but as faithful as they come. And that is just one side of Karou's life, the human side.

Akiva to me was a perfect lead male role. He made my heart go pitter-patter. Even when I wasn't reading Smoke and Bone, I would think about him... his pain, his story, his past. Akiva is beautiful, strong, powerful, protective and in pain. He lost someone he loved dearly a long time ago and it shows, but he is a warrior, a survivor through and through. He must keep his eyes on the mission, the task at hand... the enemy. But when he sees Karou, everything changes.

This book reminded me of an intense, seductive, thrilling, romantic version of Narnia. The characters and the battles were unbelievable and believable at the same time. The story of Daughter of Smoke and Bone that Laini Taylor so beautifully has written is one that you cannot take lightly. This is not a quick read, but one to read slowly and understand each and every interwoven idea/thought/dream that makes up the storyline. It is powerful in every way. I want to re-read it again as soon as I'm done with this review, just because I know there is more story to be had.

Amy