Laurie's Reviews > Why?: Making Sense Of God's Will

Why? by Adam Hamilton

Sep 28, 2011

liked it
Read from September 28 to October 21, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This was a very short book that a local Methodist church picked as its congregational reading book for October. Apparently this book comes packaged with sermons for pastors and teaching guides for small groups. The title of the book intrigued me because who hasn't asked God "why?" before and I struggle to understand God's will for my life. I can't say that after reading this book I had all the answers and am now at peace. There were parts that I liked and there were parts that made me question the author and God even more. For a long time I've come to understand that bad things don't happen because God lets them happen or wants them to happen. They happen because people have free will and make bad choices. It's a little harder for me to accept that God can't fix things but can only offer his hand to help you deal. This definitely changes the way I (and the people in my small group) pray. I was a little confused about the whole collaboration with God chapter (our life story hasn't been written out yet but we should write it along with God). How do we do that? Pray and then... wait and see if God grants us our prayer? And can we also stop calling them "unanswered prayers"? They ARE NOT unanswered. That makes it sound like God ignores us. He doesn't. He answers the prayers and he says "no" or "not yet".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why?.