Ugo Norcaro's Reviews > We're Going on a Bear Hunt

Sep 28, 11

Read in September, 2011

We’re Going on a Bear Hunt
Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury

This recognised children’s classic was lent to me by an experienced Primary School teacher friend and then used as part of a Geography lecture on the Primary PGCE course I am studying at present, so I felt duty bound to review it.
The illustrations are beautiful, with the characters almost jumping off the page, as well as clearly exhibiting a range of expressions and feelings. The text is ideal for reading out to the class and for engaging early readers. The sound effect pages are my particular favourites and I can visualise a class of KS1 or early KS2 fully animated and vociferous at these points. These particular pages have some fun alliteration and word combinations, together with some interesting blends that might be used as part of a phonics lesson.
The cross-curricular link demonstrated during my Geography lecture was to the mapping theme, recording the journey, but weather and environment connections can be established as well.
I am sure this book is in virtually every KS1 and reception classroom already and it will be in mine.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We're Going on a Bear Hunt.