Lara's Reviews > West with the Night

West with the Night by Beryl Markham

Sep 30, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, audiobooks, biography-autobiography-memoir, non-fiction, travel, history, aviation
Read from September 28 to 30, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Fantastic, no matter who actually penned it (sounds like there's some debate about that)! This is just a really beautifully written book, and, for the most part, beautifully narrated as well, though not everybody seems to agree on that. I loved the way Markham's stories are told here, how they connect, and how they flow from one topic to the next through the people and animals she knew and loved during her life in Kenya during the early to mid-1900s. I'm a sucker for this sort of romantic aviation tale, so it all just really worked for me. And the thing about the narrator, Julie Harris, is that she actually gets really emotional in parts, and you can tell that she was just totally swept up in the story as she was reading it. I loved that, because so often narrators just speak in a monotone the entire time, and it kind of makes me nuts.

Anyway, highly recommended, if you're the travel/adventure/history lover sort.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read West with the Night.