Maggie's Reviews > The President's Daughter

2079912
Jan 17, 2014

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in February, 2013

A cute YA book about the life of the daughter of the president of the US. Worth a read for the much heavier third and fourth books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The President's Daughter.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-6 of 6) </span> <span class="smallText">(6 new)</span>

Emily Thumbs up! :D The first three are written at a much younger level than the fourth. And it's totally only fair to warn that parts of the third book are REALLY traumatizing. As in "I can't handle rereading it" traumatizing. But the first two are not like that at all. Nor is the fourth though it reflects on what happened. I might even encourage someone to just skip the third book because yes.

Maggie Wow, I can't imagine what happens since it's a YA book! But you made me curious about the series, so I'll have to check it out! :-)

Emily wrote: "Thumbs up! :D The first three are written at a much younger level than the fourth. And it's totally only fair to warn that parts of the third book are REALLY traumatizing. As in "I can't handle..."

Emily It is, but it was originally published during the early 80s so I'm guessing they were a little looser then? IDEK I remember reading it in fifth or sixth grade and being horrified but not traumatized - and then I reread it (okay, I guess I have reread it!) when Long May She Reign came out and was all 'ho...shit.'

I hope you like the series though! (She says after warning for trauma. Oh books)

Maggie I didn't realize the series was older! Thanks for the warning! :-)

Emily wrote: "It is, but it was originally published during the early 80s so I'm guessing they were a little looser then? IDEK I remember reading it in fifth or sixth grade and being horrified but not traumati..."

Emily Yes! It's weird cause there were nearly 20 years between book 3 and book 4. So after writing book 4 (set in the mid-2000s), she went back and updated 1-3 to more modern references (cell phones and computers and stuff). She did a really good job with the update. Or I was impressed at least. :D

Maggie Oh, interesting! Since things really have changed, and I can see how, say, a cellphone could actually change a plotline!

The Mrs. Pollifax books are a little like that, only without the going back and updating. The first was written in the 60s and the last I think in the 90s! And she's a spy, who is an old lady. Who stays pretty much the same age for the span of the books, though politics changes a bit! Actually, the author handles it pretty well. Love those books...

Emily wrote: "Yes! It's weird cause there were nearly 20 years between book 3 and book 4. So after writing book 4 (set in the mid-2000s), she went back and updated 1-3 to more modern references (cell phones an..."