Malbadeen's Reviews > Love Is a Mix Tape

Love Is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield

Jan 27, 11

Recommended for: sentimental sappy headed sappy suckers

If you've lost someone that you cared deeply for you know the frustration in not being able to express who that person was to others. The on going loss that comes from meeting new people and knowing they will never know this person (this HUGE part of your life) can seem crippling at times. In some ways this book appears to be Sheffields attempt to make his wife known to us after her very early death. Personally, I don't think he succeeded. His short lived marriage to her seemed sweet in a teen angel kind of way but the essence of who she was or the connection didn't feel more unique than any number of early crushes, relationships people experience. The fact that they married early and only had 5 years together as a husband and wife together before seemed glaringly obvious in his idolized, frequently cliche ramblings of her.
His writing about the music itself outweighed his attention to the point he had initially started with and there were at least 2 chapters that seemed entirely unnecessary, if not distracting.
Frequently his writing appeared to be designed more for a beer commercial than a book, when speaking to his affinity for mixed tapes he says, " ....The times you lived through, the people you shared those times with - nothing brings it all to life like an old mix tape". It's hard for me to read that sentence, however true it may be, without imagining a swimming pool, coolers of beer and bikini clad woman.
And yet! Three stars because I loved the chapter when he reminisced his pubescent attempts at making mixed tapes for parties! I loved his reflections on what music meant to girls vs. boys.
And lets be honest I loved reminiscing about all my sappy, happy and/or crappy mixes of the past.

4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Is a Mix Tape.