Tatiana's Reviews > Dragonswood

Dec 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fantasy, historical, ya, ala-ya-2013
Recommended to Tatiana by: Kirkus
Read from December 05 to 10, 2011

Dragonswood is a solid teen fantasy that lacks just a little bit of that special something that makes you want to treasure and read a book over and over again.

The story is set in 12th century Wilde Island (England?) The narrator, 17-year old Tess, is a daughter of an abusive blacksmith. Tess dreams of being free of her father and living alone somewhere alone and supporting herself. But those are not the right times for such dreams. Single women are open for abuse and accusations of witchery. For now, Tess finds sanctuary from her father's fists in nearby Drangonswood, a vast piece of land that is surrounded by walls to protect dragons and fey living within them, no human is allowed there. When a witch hunter enters Tess' village, the girl is the easiest target for prosecutions. She flees and starts a journey of figuring out the reasons for her strange attraction to Deagonswood and her role in a prophecy promising a peaceful union among humans, fey and dragons.

I think that something that I mentioned earlier is that while being a perfectly fine, very well realized historical fantasy with a strong heroine and an interesting cast of characters (magic, or otherwise), the story reads a tad old-fashioned. It is less mature than I prefer and than what is popular right now, less passionate, less edgy. Imagine Juliet Marillier books, but slightly less compelling.

Dragonswood was enjoyable enough to read, but I am not craving more of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonswood.

12/05/2011 page 18
4.0% 1 comment
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Marr Another great review. I have to confess I get excited when I see your name pop up cos a) I'm always eager to read your opening statement and b) you always throw up intelligent points. As we would say on the brown continent - G'onya Tatiana!

Tatiana You are making me blush, Shirley. And thank you:)

message 3: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Marr What? Tatiana can blush? But...but...I always thought Tatiana was the Cool Customer!! :D

message 4: by Tatiana (last edited Dec 11, 2011 08:01PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tatiana LOL. I am pretty subdued and easily flustered in real life. Internet brings the worst out of me:)

message 5: by Grace (new) - added it

Grace There's a prequel to this book. I just read it; it's called Dragon's Keep. Predictable, but other than that, it was....ok.