liberal sprinkles's Reviews > Whip Up Mini Quilts: Patterns and How-to for 26 Contemporary Small Quilts

Whip Up Mini Quilts by Kathreen Ricketson

F_50x66
I am not a quilter, I don't have the patience to make a traditional full-sized quilt. But I like this book and I'm glad I bought it. There are so many cute and fun designs that make attractive decorative items and gifts. While they are meant to be mini quilts, they could easily be adapted for other things like bags, placemats and table runners. Templates are attached for the applique patterns, which you could use for any other sewing project.

The book provides basics on the tools needed and how-to's for different quilting methods, appliques and embroidery stitches - useful if you're unfamiliar with them. There are also written instructions on basting and quilting, which would perhaps have been more effective if accompanied by more diagrams, photos or a CD. I am an avid reader and information junkie who has read many quilting tutorials and watched quite a few quilting videos online, so I could follow most of the text instructions. But if you're new to quilting, you may easily get lost amid all those words.

If you've been making your own quilts - traditional ones - this book will challenge you to get out of your comfort zone. Most of the projects in here are not traditional; among them: a circus scene, a map quilt, a loopy quilt made of swirls of felt appliques, a raven in front of a window, a power line landscape. If you are not into unusual quilt designs, you probably won't enjoy this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whip Up Mini Quilts.