An Abundance of Books's Reviews > Sins of the Angels

Nov 10, 11

bookshelves: 2011-a-blogger-made-me-buy-it, 2011-reviews
Read from October 14 to 15, 2011

Featured at An Abundance of Books

Alexandra is a good cop, an excellent cop, who lives in the shadow of her late mother's mental illness. She's so afraid that she'll have the same problems that she tries to forcefully tell herself that she did not just see that her new partner has wings. Aramael is a very powerful and emotionally/mentally unstable angel. Being forced to hunt and exile his own brother damaged him far more than his superiors wanted to see. He is furious that he has to go undercover to hunt this new Fallen Angel who's rampaging through the city. Undercover is not his style, working with other is definitely not his style, following his instincts and maybe a bit too much violence is more his thing. He has no idea how to pretend to be a cop and Alexandra is furious that she's been saddled with a newbie in the middle of a serial killer case. While Alex and Aramael definitely don't get along, they have this bizarre attraction that should not be there and neither of them has any wish to follow up on it.

I found the setup of Heaven to be a bit odd at first, it seemed more like a corporation, but I got past that. I liked Aramael, despite his constant state of anger, and Alexandra was a great heroine. She was capable and strong, but human and not bitchy. It seems that a lot of author's write strong women as bitches and that irritates me. In fact both Aramael and Alexandra grow as characters in this book, something you normally see in later on in a series. There were no radical changes, but we see them process and begin to accept their new situations. I found the police procedural aspect of the book to be interesting but not so in depth that my brain turned off. I found it to be a great introduction to the series. Readers learn all about the world and our two main characters while trying to catch a serial killer, so everything flowed fairly well. Occasionally I would want information faster but it didn't bother me. I have to admit that I was really frustrated when the book ended because I was going to have to wait a year to find out what happens next.

Some readers might want to try this from the library first as it's a bit different from normal angelic fiction.

Read full review HERE

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sins of the Angels.