Donna Fasano's Reviews > Scratch

Scratch by Danny Gillan

3320632
Sep 28, 11

Read in September, 2011

Hating his job and in debt up to his neck, Jim decides to start from scratch. He quits his job, sells his flat and moves back in with his parents. So begins Jim's quest to have another go at 'getting it right.'

I so enjoyed this story. It was entertaining and funny, thought-provoking and poignant. In this current economy, I can easily see this story unfolding in the real world.

The characters are so well fleshed, each with his/her own strengths and weaknesses, that I am left feeling as if I could go to the corner pub and have a drink with any one of them as we have a good chat. I love Jim. He really is a wanker (of course, I'm using the Joe/Simon definition!). I am terribly disappointed in Paula, but then I write romance novels for a living and wanted, well, I can't tell you what I wanted without giving away some good bits. I enjoyed watching Terry grow and mature…but only so far (I'm shaking my head and grinning, you'll see why when you meet him). I love Abe and Jeb…their working relationship is something we all wish we had in our work-a-day lives (I'm laughing even as I type this). I even loved Kate, and especially enjoyed learning the unexpected 'motive' behind her laziness.

Buy this book. But don't just read it. Savor it. You won't be sorry.

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scratch.