Laura's Reviews > The Story of Beautiful Girl

The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon

F_50x66
Sep 28, 11

Read in September, 2011

This book tells the story of Lynnie, Homan and Martha, whose lives are brought together suddenly. Lynnie and Homan are locked away in an institution, the School for the Incurable and Feebleminded. In love, Homan orchestrates their escape, and during their three days of freedom Lynnie gives birth to a baby girl. While on the run, they make their way to Martha's farm, and when the police and warders from The School arrive, they are recaptured - but not before Lynnie leaves the baby with Martha, asking only that she hide the baby.

This book was recommended in a GoodReads newsletter and sounded interesting so I bought an e-book copy months ago. I finally got around to reading it this week on my new Kindle, but I have to say it was disappointing. The chapters alternate between Lynnie, Homan and Martha's stories, but the characters really did not come to life for me. Although the book has much of interest to say about institutions of the 1960s in America, the story itself just did not engage me. If it was a paper book, I would definitely have skimmed it and probably skipped to the end. As this is much harder on the Kindle, I persevered, but cannot recommend it as a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Beautiful Girl.