Q's Reviews > Ghost World

Ghost World by Daniel Clowes

Oct 03, 11

bookshelves: comics
Read from September 28 to October 03, 2011

I can see how this comic would have massive cult appeal to the 'disenfranchised youth' of the 90's. However, this book is the bastard child of Strangers in Paradise and Johnny the Homicidal Maniac with a dash of Clerks. It has all the negativity of both books (Plus Daria and Roseanne) but none of the wit, charm or cleverness.

Don't get me wrong, I love negativity. Negativity is awesome if delivered with some class. This book has no class.

Like mommy Strangers in Paradise it features two young woman who are just trying to find their way in the world but like Daddy JtHM, it hates everyone and swears up a storm.

Enid and Rebecca are not fun people, they are not interesting people. They are everything they hate and there is nothing endearing about them.

The passage of time in the book is...hard to follow, with scenes suddenly ending for new ones. Are these flashbacks? And then suddenly Enid goes off to college then...comes back to visit and Rebecca stays in stupid-head nowhere with the guy? What am I supposed to take away from this? The more things change?

The writing wasn't witty or new, it was all the cliche stuff we expect 'nihilistic', misanthropic teenagers say.

I will at least give credit where it's due in the sake that they did feel like real people.

Real people I'd never hang out with.

If you liked this book, I'd recommend Strangers in Paradise for some quality "Who am I and what's my purpose?" story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost World.

09/28/2011 page 24
30.0% "It's like Daria but without the wit. Saying "fuck" isn't witty."