Jess's Reviews > Fables, Vol. 3: Storybook Love

Fables, Vol. 3 by Bill Willingham

Sep 28, 11

bookshelves: fairy-tales-folklore-mythology, graphic-novels, read-in-2011, series
Read in September, 2011

Three volumes in, I'm beginning to feel like Fables is a fun series of escapist fiction, but doesn't seem to offer much more than that. In Volume Three: Storybook Love, we are given a couple of single issue stories that show us a bit more of the history behind certain characters, Jack's schemes during the American Civil War, and the legends that are told among the fables themselves. Which is good at establishing some background, but it's not yet clear to me that there is any sort of narrative arch developing throughout the series. Maybe it's too early to tell, and there are some hints at attempts by the exiled fables to take back the invaded homelands, but nothing concrete. Other stories in this volume involve a caper plot against a journalist who believes he has uncovered the fables secret, the return of Goldilocks as part of a Bluebeard plot against Snow & Bigby, enchanted into spending time camping together, and Prince Charming reveals his more dastardly conniving side.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fables, Vol. 3.