Traci's Reviews > The Crayon Box that Talked

The Crayon Box that Talked by Shane DeRolf

Sep 27, 2011

liked it
Read in September, 2011 — I own a copy

The Crayon Box that Talked by Shane Derolf is a simple story about how to get along with each other. A girl buys a box of crayons that do not get along at all. She begins to draw a picture with each of them, and the crayons begin to realize that when they work together they can make a complete picture. A group works better together than an individual.

While I enjoyed the message behind this book, I found the story too simple for my taste. I finished reading the book and wondered where the rest of the story was. There were very few pages and very few words. The cover of the book showcases the crayons in the box underneath what looks like a curtain. The back of the book has three of the crayons together smiling, obviously representing how happy they were at the end of the story. The end pages for the book are the same, a bright pink color with drawings on them, reminding me of the pictures the girl drew in the story. For me, the end pages weren't creative at all, and if you take the dust jacket off it's the same as the cover. What's the point of the dust jacket then? The title page showcases the little girl entering a castle. Is there where she buys the crayons from?

The pictures in the book are too "cutsey" for me, and they are lacking a certain detail that I enjoy from picture books. The text is a simple black block like text, and I thought it added to the simplicity of the story because it was just a regular text. There is a mix between border images and full-bleed images. If there is a border image the background color matches a color from the crayon box, such as blue or yellow. All is all, this book would be great if you needed to read it to elementary students who need to work better together, but I would simply pass this book along.

The story ends with the message, "We are a box of crayons, each one of us unique. But when we work together...The picture is complete."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crayon Box that Talked.