Sara's Reviews > The Marriage Lesson

The Marriage Lesson by Victoria Alexander

Sep 27, 11

Read in September, 2011

So mostly it was fine. Not fabulous, but good. I had some problems that kept me from liking it more.
Issues:
1)There was great build-up towards the end, and I was quite hopeful, but then the end was the same stereotypical cliche/stupid/overwrought/eye-rolling ending that I hate.
2)The tertiary character of the newspaper publisher caught my fancy way more than the hero ever did. True, the hero was appealing enough, but again I ask: WHY is it unacceptable for the heroine to end up with Cadwallender the gorgeous funny newspaper publisher who makes a decent living? It's like, if you're not a titled nobleman, you can't be a hero in a regency romance. (As the heroine often says, "Piffle.")
3) A moral of this story turned out to be that travelling is useless and anyone who wants to have adventures and be independent needs to either accept on their own that those things are stupid, or have their personality forcibly changed. And that is not the sort of moral I appreciate.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marriage Lesson.