Justin's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Nov 17, 11

bookshelves: print-books, my-required-reads, arcs-and-from-work, fantasy-adventure
Read from October 24 to November 17, 2011

Overall, I thought this book was fantastic. That being said, I do have a few issues...
1. Who is Isobel, what's her real name, and how did she have so much power over the circus? Her story was never fully exposed, and that's something I would have liked to have learned more about.
2. I feel pretty bad for Bailey, who just wanted to go to the circus and be with Poppet, and ended up taking control of the circus from Celia and Marco. Kind of a sad future if you ask me.
3. I think it would be cool to learn more about the magic Celia and Marco were using to manipulate the circus, particularly toward the end. I got a little confused and lost at some parts.
4. Was Tsukiko good or bad or, like she said, completely indifferent? I don't get it. Was she jealous of Celia and Marco because of her lost love?
5. I'm not really sure I understand Tara's death, because she was more of a minor character until that chapter.. And the clockmaker was one of my favorite characters. Can books STOP killing off my favorite characters already?!
6. While this WAS an advanced copy I read, and not the final product, there were discrepancies with the verb tenses that I hope were smoothed out in the final edit. Almost completely present tense, with a few past tenses thrown in there.

I did like most of the story though, minus these few things. I really wish a circus like this existed.. The clock, the pool of tears, the illusionist.. this circus sounds incredible and amazing. Parts of it were a little cliched and romantic for my taste (re: Celia and Marco at the end of the book), but I think it was a very well put-together novel. I also was really happy that Celia had a better grasp of the magic that her father had failed in performing (kind of karma for him putting his own daughter in such a competition).

This book was extremely detailed and descriptive, and so much fun to envision. I had a lot of fun reading The Night Circus, and highly recommend this for anyone who enjoyed 'Water for Elephants', or just likes circus or magic stories in general.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

10/25/2011 page 48
11/01/2011 page 164
42.0% "Exhilarating and fun and addicting. I wish this circus really existed."
11/08/2011 page 250
65.0% "This is an outstanding, well written and addictive book. I am so drawn to the mysteriousness of this circus, and the drama and thrill of the competition between Marco and Celia. Can't wait to see how it goes."
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Betsy Did you finish this? I am not liking it..seriously.

Justin Really? where are you in it right now? I think it's fantastic, it's got a really nice interplay of competition and romance between Marco and Celia, and frankly I really wish a circus like this actually existed :)

Betsy ok, I'm continuing on, based on your recommendation. Update to follow. :)

Justin I'm glad to hear it! What part are you at, that you don't like it yet?