Kelley's Reviews > A Sick Day for Amos McGee

F 50x66
Sep 27, 2011

Read in September, 2011

Critique- Picture Book/Caldecott Medal Winner

Zookeeper Amos McGee visits his animal friends at the zoo everyday. One day Amos wakes up sick and is not able to go to work. This is the story of what his animal friends do when he doe not make it to work. A.) I loved the illustrations in this story. They are simple yet detailed. B.) Erin Stead did an amazing job on the illustrations in this story. I was really impressed that these were done using woodblock printing techniques, and that this was the first book she had ever illustrated. Her use of pencil to add the slightest traits to the characters really set her images apart from other illustrators. C.) One of my favorite illustrations is of all the animals lined up at the bus station waiting for the bus. You can see the creases around the elephant’s eyes, the folds of skin on the rhinoceros, and the lines around the turtle’s mouth. It is a very subtle way to add dimension to the characters.

This book is suitable for young readers (PK-1st Grade). This book would be an excellent addition to a lesson on germs/sickness, animals, jobs, or friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Sick Day for Amos McGee.