Cathy 's Reviews > Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy

Unusual Suspects by Dana Stabenow

Oct 23, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: anthology, paranormal, mystery, short-stories, urban, fantasy, magic-users, read-in-2011
Read from October 23 to 24, 2011

It wasn't a great anthology. The Sookie Stackhouse story by Charlaine Harris was fine, not thrilling, but I'd read it before. I really enjoyed the Deliah Street story by Carole Nelson Douglas, it was the highlight of the book. Her stories are alway charming and interesting. And Laura Anne Gilman's story was a real find, I didn't know she had a prequel to her PSI series with Bonnie investigating Zaki's murder. A couple of the other stories were cute but not thrilling. I liked John Straley's story about Santa. And Sharon Shinn's story was ok. And Simon R. Green's Nightside story was fine, a nice switch to a different main character, but still not compelling somehow. None of the stories had much punch, I'm not sure why. And even though I like the idea of mixing in otherworld/ traditional fantasy with urban fantasy, I couldn't get into short stories where I had to absorb new worlds and figure out what was going on at the same time, it just doesn't work for me. I'm just not patient enough and not a big enough fan of short stories. So a bunch of the stories didn't work for me at all. So overall the book was just ok, good for the few stories I really wanted to read at least.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unusual Suspects.

10/23/2011 page 54
17.0% "And now I know how Delilah got Nick his Nora and Asta, great Carole Nelson Douglas story."
10/23/2011 page 180
56.0% ""Holy Moly," Santa Claus said, "this elf is dead!""