Caressa's Reviews > Ganymede

Ganymede by Cherie Priest

Nov 11, 11

bookshelves: couldn-t-finish

This novel of The Clockwork Century was more of the same: boring, disappointing, and trite.

I LOVED "Boneshaker." Read that sucker in one sitting, and then read it again. It caught your attention quickly, then roared like a runaway train through to the end. Brilliant. Each successive novel, however, has failed to come anywhere near that breakneck rush of adrenaline. "Ganymede" was no exception. It caught your attention right away, then slows way down with beautifully detailed world building, introductions to two dimensional characters, and outings through bayous & New Orleans. I kept waiting for the main conflict to kick in, but even 3/4 into the novel, it felt like we were just getting started. It's beginning to feel as if each novel isn't meant to be a complete story in itself, but rather a vignette to introduce us to characters and technology that will be major players in a future showdown between the Union, Confederacy, Texians, and rotters. Perhaps the books would have worked better in graphic novel format, because they're extremely unsatisfying as full fledged novels. They plod along like a half-dead horse, have a rushed climax and unsatisfying denouement that play out in the last 10 pages.

I won't be sticking around for whatever Ms. Priest has cooking. I'm tired of being roped in by an interesting hook, only to find boredom & disappointment as my reward. I'll find a different series that actually delivers on its promises.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ganymede.