Kelly Herta's Reviews > Whale Talk

Whale Talk by Chris Crutcher

Sep 27, 2011

Read in August, 2011

Summary: This is a wonderful book about a young man, TJ Jones, a nonconformist kind of guy and the events of a year in high school. He is a talented swimmer and a gifted athlete who doesn't want to paly sports for the school. TJ has more issues that most teenagers with his black-white-japanese- American heritage and drug addict birth mother. He lives with his adopted parents, who are wonderful and loving. Tj decides to get a swim team together at the school after he seeing a varsity letter jacket controversy involving a special needs student, Chris. The swim team is manned by Chris, TJ, and other student outcasts. They start to practice and attend meet sand are under the watchful eyes of a group of exstudents, led by Rick Marshall. TJ and Rick have "words" many times. The team continues to improve, which guarentees all the swimmers will get varsity jackets. At the state meet, TJ tanks on purpose and the team doesn't win. The bittersweet ending to this story leaves me wanting to read more of this authors books.

I really enjoyed this book. I have recommended it several times when I am working in the library. My 73 year old mother said it was one of the best books she has ever read and I agree with her. I could barely put the book down. I will be purchasing this book for my personal library, for sure!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whale Talk.