Giselle's Reviews > Hallowed

Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

Jan 16, 12

bookshelves: arc, ebook, paranormal
Read from November 04 to 06, 2011

After greatly enjoying Unearthly, I was really excited to be able to get an early copy of this sequel. I was not disappointed with it. It was very much a "middle" book, but one of the best I've ever read.

Hallowed gets us reacquainted with Clara, Tucker, Christian and, with a more important part in this sequel, Carla's brother Jeffrey as well as her mother, Maggie. As in Unearthly, each and every one of the characters have substance, including natural dialogue and palpable emotions. And emotions, Hallowed is full of! Clara and her family are going through a really tough situation and it tugs on the heartstrings. It's hard to explain without spoilers, but there are a lot of occurrences that will likely make everyone feel sorrowful for Clara. With all these emotions, though, there is still sweet romance and fun moments throughout the book to balance it all out.

As I mentioned, for a middle book, Hallowed is very well done. I was always caught up in the story despite the lack of any definite plot development. We do, however, get a lot of answers in regards to Clara's lineage. In addition, her mother's well kept secrets are -for the most part- all revealed. Like Unearthly, Hallowed is not a fast, high action book. The slow but steady pace makes it a highly character driven novel with realistic relationships and an intriguing progression that you have time to savor.

It's been said that Cynthia Hand has written one of the greatest love triangles in the YA genre. I highly agree with this statement. Hallowed has, yet again, left me feeling dazed. We've got butterflies and sparks, but also uncertainty and pain. The romance itself is not overwhelming; It's full of authenticity without taking the attention away from the plot. I'm still unsure of how I feel about the new developments in this sequel. I'm definitely curious to see how it's going to pan out in book 3. Tucker and Christian are both important in Clara's life. They each have very separate but essential roles that keep her grounded. I think she should marry both - seriously! It could work, no? (Team Tucktian?)

Hallowed is another great example of a wonderfully written paranormal romance. Cynthia Hand does not disappoint with this second novel in the Unearthly series *claps*. If you haven't picked it up yet, it's a definite must buy!

For more of my reviews, visit my blog at Xpresso Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hallowed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ariana can't wait to hear what you think of it :) Hope you like it!

Giselle So far I'm enjoying it!

Sarah How did you get an advance copy?

Giselle I got this one off Netgalley.

Sarah Wow! You're lucky!

Lisa O. But Giselle... bigamy???? LMAO.

Giselle Lisa O. wrote: "But Giselle... bigamy???? LMAO."

Totally! It's the only choice, really!

Lisa O. In such a religion-based book? You are a daring woman!

Ariana I got an ARC :D *happy dance*
I can't wait to read it... Yeeeeiiiiiii!

Giselle Ari wrote: "I got an ARC :D *happy dance*
I can't wait to read it... Yeeeeiiiiiii!"

Oh Awesome!! Hope you like it!

Crystal Books Unbound From the middle to the end of this book I was crying like every other chapter. Especilly at the ever end with Tucker! I was bawling!

Giselle Crystal (Elegantly Bound Books) wrote: "From the middle to the end of this book I was crying like every other chapter. Especilly at the ever end with Tucker! I was bawling!"

Haha. Well it's definitely emotional. I don't want her to have to choose :(