Kressel Housman's Reviews > Philanthrocapitalism: How Giving Can Save the World

Philanthrocapitalism by Matthew Bishop

Nov 04, 11

bookshelves: philanthropy, poverty, non-fiction, presidents, economics, business
Read from October 17 to November 04, 2011

What an inspiring book! I knew a little of the philanthropy and activism of such famous folks as Bill Gates, Bono, Bill Clinton, and Oprah Winfrey, but this book gave real detail. The biggest surprises were that Goldman Sachs, one of the biggest "devils" in the financial crisis, has a solid history of philanthropy. One of its founders was a big supporter of the NAACP! Also interesting was the Robin Hood Foundation, a foundation run by hedge fund managers to fight poverty in NYC. Like with Social Entrepreneurship, I took plenty of notes and have been looking in on all kinds of interesting websites. This book made me want to get rich so I can give a fortune of money away and help solve the world's problems. But since I'm not, I'll be looking into the websites of these philanthrocapitalistic ventures to figure out my own role in changing the world. On to more research!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Philanthrocapitalism.