Cassandra (The book & movie dimension blogger)'s Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Sep 27, 2011

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy, earlybookreader, favorites
Read from September 29 to October 27, 2011 — I own a copy

Full, non-spoiler review courtesy at Book & Movie Dimension a Blog

I'll start off first off with the fact that, I hadn't ever read any books beforehand by Maggie Stiefvater. Although, I had heard great things from blogs I frequent and on Goodreads.com about how really good her books are especially her "Wolves of Mercy Falls" trilogy. A while later I set out to buy her books in e-book form (electronic form) but never really got around to reading them. Then, while looking through one of my favorite book blogs- Dark Faerie Tales. I saw that there was a new book by Maggie Stiefvater soon to be released named " The Scorpio Races". My curiousity got the better of me finally so I just had to read "The Scorpio Races" since it wasn't going to be about vampires, werewolves, or zombies but something new and intriguing- dangerous magical water horses.
Imagine anyone's surprise as you are placed in the mind of Sean Kendrick, returning champion of The Scorpio Races, as he instills into us a thought-provoking account of how water horses or capaice uisce where he lives in an island of Thisby can be the death of you at every turn. He knows all to well how his own father feared the sea and his water horse, Corr, who he is ultimately killed by. Sean leaves us with the thought "that he'll never be fearful like his father". As the years pass, Sean is adopted by a very wealthy man. He is also allowed to ride Corr in the Scorpio Races in the island.With Corr by his side he's managed to win several times.
The story also moves from Sean to Kate Connoly's perspective with a more feminine outlook. Kate or rather she goes by "Puck" is far more emotional than the hardened Sean. While Sean is quiet and keeps all his thoughts to himself, Kate is different. Kate while being very decent and naive can also be very courageous when the situation requires it. She quickly learns that her oldest brother will be leaving Thisby. So in a moment of great impulse decides to enter The Scorpio Races. To Kate its a chance to stop him from leaving her and their family forever.
Along, the way we see Kate and Sean struggle to know their real reasons for being in the races. The races throw these two together and they realize that there is more at stake than just winning.
Of all the things, I loved about The Scorpio Races, the main thing is how well the different character perspectives were handled. You never get confused or exasperated by a change in character narration. It moves forward seamlessly. Lastly, love very much how the description of language is so very alive. It whispers and touches you while inviting you behind the action of the story. Maggie Stifvater's "The Scorpio Races" is something else entirely in Young Adult-Fantasy that is very hard to describe but you sure have to read.

Overall: Amazing read!
Genre:Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Recommend Ages: 15 and Up

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.

10/25/2011 page 20
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Elaine (new) - added it

Elaine sounds good! ✿◠‿◠) looking forward to read this soon.

Cassandra (The book & movie dimension blogger) Elaine wrote: "sounds good! ✿◠‿◠) looking forward to read this soon."

It is really good, Elaine.
Nice of to comment on one of my reviews.

message 3: by Elaine (new) - added it

Elaine Cassandra (The Book & Movie Dimension blogger) wrote: "Elaine wrote: "sounds good! ✿◠‿◠) looking forward to read this soon."

It is really good, Elaine.
Nice of to comment on one of my reviews."

sure, no problem <3