Cait's Reviews > Fallen in Love

Fallen in Love by Lauren Kate

Jul 01, 12

Read from January 27 to February 05, 2012

Post-review: I feel like, after reading almost all of this series, now, including the in-between book that I was in no way obligated to read, I am allowed to write a letter. I feel as if we have grown......so much closer over this series. So much closer.....:

My dearest Lauren Kate; my honey-bun, my up-and-downer; my peach,

I regret to inform you that your writing has gone all-out bipolar on us all, and this book is prime evidence of that fact. Passion was the worst book of this series to date before this book was published, in my honest opinion, and I believe that Fallen In Love was your honest attempt at rectifying the train wreck that your last book was. You were trying to follow that old saying:

I think that the lawn mower really makes the scene. Take some notes, Katey-waty.

Sad to say that you tried, and you failed. Your lawn mower never even got off the ground; it kind of wobbled off into the air just a little bit, but when you had your excerpt of Rapture in there it just exploded into a fiery blaze. Seriously. It was so huge it burned my hands. Be expecting the medical bill from the hospital either also inclosed inside this envelope or as a later package a couple of days after.

Let's go over your first story in this little four-story headache extravaganza. To be blunt with you, dearest, it really was not good. The whole romance with Shelby and Miles was so awkward, not well-written and just......plain old shit. Don't get me wrong, my little cup-Kate, I'm extremely glad that there isn't a love triangle anymore (although you either purposefully or accidentally decided to hint at Luce with Cam again in the Rapture excerpt shoot me now ) between them, but it was just bad. Here's some of those awkward first-story gems:

Then I realized it was just me and Miles.
Alone.

And another gem at basically the very beginning:

Why, Katie boo-bear? Why?

Did you just realize that, Shelby? After, even in your own words, an "eternity" of jumping through time with mainly just Miles that little light-bulb of thought finally entered your character's dim little brain? Just because you feel the need to write another story and milk out this series does not mean that you can randomly write a relationship between two characters that was never even hinted at before! If you're going to write a love triangle and dig yourself into that terrible, dark, hole then you'd damn well come up with a fantastic way to get out of it! The whole passage was just Shelby having a fetish for Miles' damned hat and a really random make-out sesh at the end. And what the hell? A bark and a whine? What is Shelby, a bitch dog? I tried making that noise myself and it either sounded like I had a speech impediment or, well, a dog. I understand what you were trying to say, but you didn't say it at all correctly, sugar. I feel as if, Katie dear, if you had just left out that story I could have given this book possibly even three stars even with the Rapture-disaster at the end!

I'm sorry, Katydid. I didn't mean to get mad, because you really did redeem yourself in the middle two series.

Now, mon petit chou, I want you to guess why I liked the next two stories. Really, just guess. No? Okay, then I'll tell you: BECAUSE IT WASN'T ABOUT LUCE OR DANIEL! I'm sorry, sweetie, I couldn't keep it in. I was actually about the side characters that I could stand, and I honestly think that their stories, if they were elongated, would be better than this whole Fallen series. I'm not even kidding right now. Now, Kate, I am still not in any way saying that the two other stories you wrote (omitting the one about Luce as the last story which was still decent in comparison to some other Luce's.....other visits to her past) were fantastic, but they were still tolerable and readable, and actually had a good kind of message and Arianne and Roland actually learned from what happened to both of them because of love and had decent character development with an again somewhat decent moral/lesson at the end! Those two stories (which I may or may not elaborate on some more when it isn't so late and I know where the damned book is ) were just another concrete example as to how what you think is someone being pessimistic and foolish are the people that are actually decent; not the ones whom you think are the ones in "real love"

I just wish you had written the rest as you did with Roland and Arrianne, Kate.

With dearest regards your amazing, intelligent, beautiful, incredible, and ineffably sagacious,

Caitlin.

Oh, and as an added aside: I would write about Rapture in this review, but I have so much rage for even those first damned fifteen pages or so that I'm going to write about all of my feelings in a Rapture pre-review in the next couple of days, so be ready for that one, folks.

And I just added this gif because I can. Good day to you all.

Pre-review: Bhahahahahahahaha! This quote.....oh this quote..... (this was the synopsis before my dear Goodreads friend-and librarian- changed it to what it is now)

This book is about the only Valentine's day that Luce and Daniel ever had together. How romantic and heartbreaking is that?

*picks up the supposed "book" *

BHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAH!

How romantic, and *splutters* heartbreaking?

This has got to be one of the best practical jokes I've ever heard of in my life!! Now, come on, someone 'fess up. It was funny while it lasted, but come on now. Somebody own up. Was it you, Cillian?

*looks around and sees nobody*

Okay, if not Cillian, than maybe Mocha?

*still sees nobody and grows panicked*

Anyone?! Come on; this is just way to corny to be an actual book!

*cricket cricket*

Wait.....so this isn't a joke?

Oh my God I am officially horrified. This is actually a book?!?!?

I am........astounded. Is Lauren Kate seriously this greedy desperate for money that she writes about Luce and Daniel.....on Valentine's Day, no less? That is seriously the epitome of cliche and horribleness! I can't....I can't......understand.....brain.....fried....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen in Love.

01/27/2012 page 1
0.0% "I thought that this book could be my official re-return to Goodreads book. I have been so dreading looking forward to it! Honestly, though, I'm fully prepared for it to be an escalator wreck: [image error] It's like a train wreck, but on an escalator? Get it? Geeettttt it? No? I think my pneumonia took some of my funny....." 5 comments
01/29/2012 page 6
3.0% " "I thought we were home!" Shelby cried, her voice landing somewhere between a bark and a whine. [image error] I tried doing those words "between a bark and a whine", and it sounded like I had a severe speech impairment. Maybe that would work if it was just one word, but trying to say a whole phrase like that? That just.....*gestures to the above gif*" 6 comments
01/29/2012 page 19
9.0% " It was just me and Spencer. Alone. [image error] You don't say, Shelby. After nineteen pages of being with just him, and who knows how many other pages in Passion while you were looking for Luce and you just realized that. I think we have a fucking genius on out hands, here." 3 comments
01/29/2012 page 23
11.0% "Out of the seven sentences used to describe the town in these last two pages, five of them used which. Five. [image error] I wouldn't be complaining if there weren't other painful writing examples everywhere. Blah." 1 comment
01/30/2012 page 60
30.0% "Okay, so I really hated the story with Shelby and Miles, but this one about Roland is actually........decent. [image error] I know I'm pretty surprised, too, but I'm sure she'll ruin it once I get to the once about Daniel and/or Luce. We'll just have to wait and see....." 3 comments
02/01/2012 page 100
50.0% "Well Kate is certainly going in a.......different path than I thought she would. Not that it's horrible yet, but........."
02/04/2012 page 180
90.0% "Awesome.....I've hit the oh-so-exciting sneak-peek of Rapture! [image error] Like seriously. Nonononononnononono. This book went right back from decent to shit again. Now I have to read about how obsessed Luce is with Daniel again. "
02/04/2012 page 185
92.0% " What would it take until Daniel and I could be together forever and live out our perfect love? [image error] Okay, Luce is pissing me off. She doesn't think ahead! Even if they do beat Satan there's a problem with Daniel being immortal! You're going to get old and wrinkly and he'll just keep on young forever, then what? God she is stupid." 1 comment
02/05/2012 page 201
100.0% "Wow that ending made me so excited for Rapture. [image error]" 3 comments

Circus Princess You know, I tried reading Fallen once, a few months ago. I couldn't get passed page 40; it was that depressing. Especially when she's talking about her school. So I just have to ask: Is the book that boring and slow all the way through or just the beginning? I really want to read it to see if it's as terribly stupid as it's claimed to be.

message 2: by Anila (new) - added it

Anila Demolition-Lover wrote: "You know, I tried reading Fallen once, a few months ago. I couldn't get passed page 40; it was that depressing. Especially when she's talking about her school. So I just have to ask: Is the book th..."

It's pretty much that boring all the way through.

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Jay The gifs had me dying over here alone, but when I read the words I couldn't help but cry.

message 4: by kari (new)

kari You have GOT to be kidding! This series .... now it's five books. And we have yet to have any idea why these two love each other, after three books. Yeah, I'm going to sign on for yet more of this *sarcasm*

Cait kari wrote: "You have GOT to be kidding! This series .... now it's five books. And we have yet to have any idea why these two love each other, after three books. Yeah, I'm going to sign on for yet more of this ..."

No, I am sadly not. Oh yeah, this just sounds fantastically amazing *copies your sarcasm*

Chelsea wrote: "The gifs had me dying over here alone, but when I read the words I couldn't help but cry."

Bleh. I know. I seriously laughed so hard when I read this, but It's still sad that Kate's milking all of this money out of people.

Yes. The first book is boring, the second is extremely irritating, and the third is just confusing. You can read them...if you dare.

message 6: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Jay I have yet to read them, not even the explanations on the back are interesting

message 7: by Anila (last edited Sep 29, 2011 07:05PM) (new) - added it

Anila Luce wrote: "dont diss this book their love story is romantic obviously your a Team Cam so..."

Can't we be Team Healthy Love? When did that stop being an option?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I second Anila. I'm Team Healthy Love.

message 9: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Luce wrote: "dont diss this book their love story is romantic obviously your a Team Cam so..."

Oh god. She can say whatever she wants, actually.

message 10: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Luce wrote: "dont diss this book their love story is romantic obviously your a Team Cam so..."

Hahaha! This is so funny!

Troll...*poof*...be gone.

message 11: by Cory (new)

Cory Luce wrote: "dont diss this book their love story is romantic obviously your a Team Cam so..."

(actually, I am Team Cam) And I'm Team Healthy Love. Even more than that I'm Team guys-who-don't-flip-off-their-girlfriends-the-first-time-they-meet-them.

But it's very obvious where you stand Luce. *cough* wish-fulfillment *cough*

I hope you're typing from your phone. If not, I think your elementary school might need to revoke their diploma.

message 12: by John (last edited Sep 29, 2011 07:47PM) (new) - added it

John Egbert Luce wrote: "dont diss this book their love story is romantic obviously your a Team Cam so..."

Firstly,

JESUS CHRIST IF YOU'RE GOING TO TROLL LEARN HOW TO FUCKING SPELL YOU BLITHERING IDIOT!

Suggestion #1: Don't diss this book! Their love story is romantic. Obviously, you're a Team Cam so, you know...

Suggestion #2: Don't diss this book, their love story is romantic! But, you're a Team Cam, so...

Use one of them, jackass.

Secondly, even if I could have read your post without being whacked over the head with terrible grammar, it still would have made no fucking sense.

Cait can diss whatever book she wants. What are you going to do about it? Leave trolling comments on her reviews and then get pwned by her and her friends?

And being Team Cam has nothing to do with disliking Daniel, even if Cait was Team Cam. Personally I'm Team Grave, as in Luce being six feet under, and I still dislike Daniel. But such thought comes from a miseducated troll. *sigh*

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Your username is Luce hahah enough said. I'm Team Grammar and Non-Abusive Boyfriends if you're asking by the way.

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen Luce wrote: "dont diss this book their love story is romantic obviously your a Team Cam so..."

Luce, you're killing me!

Romantic? Yeah right.

Top Five Fallen Series Romantic Moments:

1- Daniel flips off Luce

2- Luce watches Daniel swim(???)

3- Luce makes out with another guy

4- Luce has a bitch fit when she finds about Daniel and Shelby

5- Luce abandons Daniel to go do whatever

Well, there you have it.

message 15: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Luce wrote: "dont diss this book their love story is romantic obviously your a Team Cam so..."

I'm Team Not Being A Dick To Their Girlfriends.

message 16: by Karen (last edited Sep 30, 2011 04:38AM) (new)

Karen Romantic and heartbreaking? Okay I'm editing the summary.

message 17: by Cait (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cait Karen wrote: "Romantic and heartbreaking? Okay I'm editing the summary.

It's not supposed to show any kind of bias towards or against the book, only state the plot outline."

Thank you soooo much, Karen. Whoever was the librarian for this book should get that right revoked for just liking the book and breaking those rules *indignant humph*

Cillian wrote: "And no, Cait, this time it wasn't me the one who pulled the prank.
It was Lauren Kate."

I wish that it was you who'd done it, because now I have to read this one for reviewing as well, even though it will be the most horrible of the Kate's books that I've ever read *sobs*

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Luce, there are lots of things you're going to hate in life. You can't change everything. Cait (among other people) has a different opinion of Lauren Kate, her books, and her characters. Goodreads is a place for her to post her opinion. It is wrong for you to come onto her review (which is her personal space)and post that she should stop expressing her opinion.

I'm sorry you loved the book, but we didn't. Please respect that and leave.

message 19: by Cait (last edited Sep 30, 2011 08:07AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cait Luce wrote: "... well I am a massive fan and hate you calling Lauren greedy she has made a family out of this characters and they're getting stopped next year. She just wants to hold on to them :)"

Okay, first off, I am not a Cam fan, or a fan of any of the characters in this book as a matter of fact. And if you can't tell by this review, nothing that you say is going to change my opinion of this book at all which makes me wonder why you commented (with your horrible grammar, might I add) And trust me; I can tell that you're a massive fan, but, again, I don't really care. Your opinion stopped mattering to me once you assumed something about my personality. And if she wants to hold on to her characters, she can read her own damn books or write another series, but if you can't see that this is just a massive money-making scheme, then your blinder than I thought. This book will have abosolutely nothing to do with the plot or story arc, and it's about Luce and Daniel. On valentines day. It doesn't need any more explanation than that..

message 20: by Kelley (last edited Sep 30, 2011 08:06AM) (new)

Kelley Luce wrote: "... well I am a massive fan and hate you calling Lauren greedy she has made a family out of this characters and they're getting stopped next year. She just wants to hold on to them :)"
Whether you hate what Cait has to say or not, this is not the place for your opinion. Cait wrote what she felt because Goodreads gave her this space to do so. If you want to talk about how marvelous Lauren is for whetever reason Goodreads has left a spot for you to do this also. So all you have to do is respect others opinion, whether they are the same or Different from your own and move on. No one here is worried or even cares that you felt she is not greedy, but people read this review because they want to know Caits opinion not yours.

message 21: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Luce wrote: "I dont hate it, it's just offended me yes it is her opinion and stuff it's just the fact that it's offended me I am a massive fan"

Luce, let me ask you a question. Is this review going to stop you from loving the books? Is it going to stop you from buying them? No? Then, don't worry about it. It's just her opinion. If you are confident enough in your likes/dislikes, this shouldn't bother you one bit. You are free to read and buy as many books that Lauren Kate spews out.

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen Luce wrote: "I dont hate it, it's just offended me yes it is her opinion and stuff it's just the fact that it's offended me I am a massive fan"

Okay, we get it. It offended you.

Good bye

message 23: by Cait (last edited Sep 30, 2011 10:00AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cait Luce wrote: "I dont hate it, it's just offended me yes it is her opinion and stuff it's just the fact that it's offended me I am a massive fan"

Which is exactly my point. It's a review for pete's sake. You shouldn't take it as a personal affront to your character at all. I never said anything about you in it! The only person I truly could have offended in this review is Kate and she shouldn't need her fans defending her about a book, so just back off.

message 24: by Kelley (new)

Kelley Luce wrote: "I dont hate it, it's just offended me yes it is her opinion and stuff it's just the fact that it's offended me I am a massive fan"

Thats great for you that you are a fan, we understand that. But if it offended you then just ignore it. Don't waste your time. You are not going to change anyones opinion, so just move on.

message 25: by Kelley (last edited Sep 30, 2011 11:05AM) (new)

Kelley Luce wrote: "I know I'm not I'm putting my opinion forward :)"

Then put your opinion where it is warrented.

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen FOR GOD'S SAKE, YOU PUT YOUR OPINION FORWARD. NOW PLEASE GO.

message 27: by Cait (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cait No, how about YOU stop writing on MY review in MY thread. Okay? Okay.

message 28: by Cait (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cait Paige wrote: "Hey Cait, steal my idea. Next time she comments, delete it and post your own saying that she tried to. Keep doing so as long as needed.

This is really late, but is that Tyra Banks I see in one o..."

I will steal that idea very very soon. I'm at my wits end with this idiot. Grahhhhh. And yes, yes it is. I'm sorry, Paige!

message 29: by John (last edited Sep 30, 2011 12:14PM) (new) - added it

John Egbert Luce: Who cares if you were offended? You shouldn't go reading reviews that are obviously making fun of the book if you don't want to be offended. Just press the little x at the top right corner of the screen darlin', and it'll be all over.

Cillian is right. Let me repeat her by saying: THIS IS NOT A FAN SITE. Nobody here has to like Lauren Kate, nobody is obliged to being her fan like you are. Stop being a dim wit and wasting Cait's time with your mediocre wanna-be thoughts and comments.

message 30: by Karen (new)

Karen Then why do you keep commenting? Why can't you just go? Why must you insist to keep butting your head into other people's business?

message 31: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert Luce wrote: "well stop WRITING about me I hate the notifications"

Turn them off, then, dumbass.

I personally will continue to write notes here just to piss you off.

message 32: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert Like this.

message 33: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert And this.

message 34: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert And this.

message 35: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Does everyone here understand that the notifications appear when anyone makes a comment, regardless to whom it is directed?

Good.

message 36: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert Lissa wrote: "Does everyone here understand that the notifications appear when anyone makes a comment, regardless to whom it is directed?

Good."

I do!

I don't think Luce does, though...

message 37: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert Cillian wrote: "Luce wrote: "well stop WRITING about me I hate the notifications"

There's a simple solution to your problem: delete your account in the bottom right, where it says you're following this discussion..."

Can you walk her through how to delete her account too, please?

message 38: by L.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

L.J. Kerry yeah I'm a retarded writer fuck off

message 39: by L.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

L.J. Kerry yes I'm a ball of fun XD

message 40: by Anila (new) - added it

Anila Luce wrote: "yeah I'm a retarded writer fuck off"

Oh, I like this comment! Because without the punctuation, your statement is actually true. See, if you knew how to punctuate properly, I'm guessing this would say: "Yeah, I'm a retarded writer. Fuck off."
But since you don't understand the purpose (or indeed the existence) of a period, you've just called yourself a fuck-off. Admittedly without the hyphen, but we'll let that slide. So yes, Luce, you're right: you are a retarded fuck-off.
Now kindly do so.

message 41: by John (last edited Sep 30, 2011 01:54PM) (new) - added it

John Egbert Luce wrote: "yes I'm a ball of fun XD
how can I be retarded when I write books for living and no I will not delete my account"

Suggestion #1: Yes, I'm a ball of fun! How can I be retarded when I write books for a living -- and no, I will not delete my account.

Suggestion #2: Yes! I'm a ball of fun! But how can I be retarded when I write books for a living? And, no, I will not delete my account.

Use one, jackass.

Nobody will take you seriously when you can't even fucking spell, let alone come up with coherent thought.

message 42: by John (last edited Sep 30, 2011 01:59PM) (new) - added it

John Egbert Luce wrote: "yeah I'm a retarded writer fuck off"

Suggestion #1: Yeah, I'm a retarded writer. Fuck off.

Suggestion #2 (inspired by Anila): Yeah, I'm a retarded writer fuck-off.

I'd go for the second one if I were you.

But seriously, cut out the "retarded" part of the equation. Those who are actual mental retards are quite nice, can probably spell better than you and are certainly better people than you as a whole.

So you fuck off, asshole.

message 43: by Karen (new)

Karen Archer wrote: "Luce wrote: "how can I be retarded when I write books for living"

Well, it seems to work fairly well for Lauren Kate."

LMAO! Comment of the year!

message 44: by Cory (new)

Cory No, no, no. She is not retarded. She's just a fucking moron and a terrible writer when it comes to grammar. There is a difference.

message 45: by Yesenia (new)

Yesenia Mello wrote: "Luce wrote: "yes I'm a ball of fun XD

Suggestion #1: Yes, I'm a ball of fun! How can I be retarded when I ..."

Mello, I love your comments. I can imagine you having your own TV program where you teach people grammar, while cursing them out. Like Mr. T shouting in your face, FOO! Can we pitch this to PBS? You already have me as a viewer.

Excellent point, Anila.

message 46: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert Luce wrote: "yeah I'm working on a broken keyboard at the moment and you obviously havent heard of British punctuation and havent read in British make it alot more fun. I could ask my boyfriend to type it up se..."

Oh, yeah, that makes so much sense.

I'm calling bullshit.

You moron. British punctuation, right? What the fuck is that shit?

message 47: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert Yesenia wrote: "Mello wrote: "Luce wrote: "yes I'm a ball of fun XD

Suggestion #1: Yes, I'm a ball of fun! How can I be re..."

I accept the job!

message 48: by Anila (new) - added it

Anila Luce wrote: "yeah I'm working on a broken keyboard at the moment and you obviously havent heard of British punctuation and havent read in British make it alot more fun. I could ask my boyfriend to type it up se..."

Item 1. The British still use apostrophes on contractions. You don't. 'Havent' is not a word; 'haven't', on the other hand, is. 'Cant' is a word - a noun, not a verb, so it doesn't work in your sentence.
Item 2. British English (because they do, you know, speak ENGLISH and not British) has for the most part the same punctuation as American English. In fact, I can't think of a single significant difference. If you were spelling 'color' as 'colour' you might have a point; since you're not, one must simply assume that you're terminally stupid.
Item 3. I'm glad to see you've discovered the magic of periods, but now you need to work on putting complete sentences before them. "and havent read in British make it a lot more fun" is one of the worst endings of a sentence I've ever read. Is English your first language?
Item 4. The next time the urge to use a phrase like 'more simpler' enters your head, please down a bottle or two of vodka. Drunkenness is the only excuse for such brutal grammatical murder.

message 49: by Cory (new)

Cory Didn't you know? Brits speak an entirely different language that doesn't involve capitalization, periods, or apostrophes.

message 50: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert Luce wrote: "also you havent seen my novels getting loads of good reviews so fuck you about grammar"

Suggestion #1: Also, you haven't seen my novels getting loads of good reviews. So fuck you about grammar.

Suggestion #2: Also, you haven't seen my novels getting loads of good reviews -- so fuck you about grammar!

Okay, what the hell are you going on about now? What even is this novel?

I call bullshit to the second degree. If she's a writer with "loads of good reviews" I'm going to go hang myself now.

« previous 1 3 4