Lori's Reviews > I Will Bear Witness, Vol 1: A Diary of the Nazi Years 1933-41

I Will Bear Witness, Vol 1 by Victor Klemperer

F 50x66
Sep 27, 2011

A fascinating and in-depth journey of the lives of a married couple; the husband, a Jew converted to Christianity, and his Gentile wife. In Nazi Germany, a converted Jew was still a Jew, and so the couple suffered extreme hardship and persecution because of his Jewish heritage. Incredibly detailed---the diary form made you feel as if you were there with them, suffering every indignity every day for seven years and more. Shocking how slowly and deceptively the Nazis gradually took from them every thing they had ever worked for---jobs, status, savings, pension, home, cats, friends, food, privacy. Unbelievable how educated people could have been so fooled into thining that "any day now" they were going to be saved and all the Nazi foolishness would be exposed and ended. REally, an unbelievable read, and only tedious in some of the author's lamentations and the work he was doing on his own personal book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Will Bear Witness, Vol 1.