Jason's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Nov 17, 12

bookshelves: read-2011, e-books, read-2012, reread
Read from September 27, 2011 to November 17, 2012

5 Stars

"Once upon a time, a little girl was raised by monsters. ... But angels burned the doorways to their world, and she was all alone."

After a reread my thoughts and feelings have not changed, if anything, I enjoyed it the second time around even more than the first. This book is a whole lot of fun to read and it will satisfy so many diverse readers. There is plenty of Urban Fantasy, Action, Magic, and Romance to go around.

““It’s a wishbone,” she’d told him, holding it out. “You hook your finger around the spur, like this, and we each make a wish and pull. Whoever gets the bigger piece gets their wish.”
“Magic?” Akiva had asked. “What bird does this come from, that its bones make magic?”
“Oh, it’s not magic. The wishes don’t really come true.”
“Then why do it?”
She shrugged. “Hope? Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there’s no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.””

Original Review:

Only through my wife pushing me and my friends here at Goodreads did I decide to read this novel. It started out very poorly for me. Another, teen angst, supernatural love story, and coming of age story. Not very different from all the other teen trash that lines all the new release shelves. Blahhh, I am a dude who could careless which team you are on, vamps, or wolves. I hate them both. Well, thankfully, that is not what you get from Taylor in this one.

This is definitely a coming of age story and a story about self understanding. It is an adult oriented fairy tale in the vain of a Catherine Valente novel that is twisted with a romantic edged Neil Gaiman story. It is the heart that is the focus of the story and of our protagonist Karou. The "romance" of her life is the theme that gives this book such an incredible feel. It is told through lyrical descriptions and nearly alternating chapters of backstory that continually add layer upon layer to our wonderful heroine. Taylor's world that is filled with Angels, Demons, Monsters, and war. It is a magical place not very different from our own.

There are several main plots that are built upon. The first being that Karou does not know much about her past, her parents, or even her father figure Brimstone. ( you see, he is a demon that collects all sorts of teeth, and uses her to help collect them). Karou is always trying to find out more about her life's mysteries, and one day during a mischievous adventure, she comes to meet the angel Akiva. (of course they fight and try to kill each other). He is the second major protagonist of this story, and also a major character in Karou's life.

The mystery behind the teeth that Karou collects for Brimstone is really eye opening when it becomes revealed. These teeth play a major role in everything of Karou's life. Taylor's imagination with this really had me excited. A really great explanation behind the workings of magic.

The eternal war of Angels(Seraphim) versus demons(Chimera) is fought in this book. The main story thread exists solely on this struggle. I love biblical horror and this tickled me just right.

The book has a theme in hope. "Hope? Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic."

The writing and the prose is fantastic:
"Snap...Rushing, like the wind through a door, and Karou was the door and the wind was coming home, and she was also the wind. She was all: wind and home and door.
She rushed into herself and was filled.
She let herself in and was full.
She closed again. The wind settled. It was as simple as that....She was whole."

" We dreamed together of the world remade."

Like all great fairytales, they have their strengths in that they will make you forget where you are. You will be transported to a place far away, a place of magic and a place of dreams. And you will find yourself surrounded by new faces, some of whom will be friends of yours for the rest of your lives. Smoke and Bone is a fantastical beginning of a wonderfully imaginative series filled with angels, demons, war, love, and hope. I really enjoyed reading this book. I highly recommend this to all fantasy lovers, guys included, and of course to the YA crowd as well.

11/13/2012 "Time for a quick reread before I read book two."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo Anne (last edited Oct 04, 2011 03:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Anne B You do such a great job writing reviews. Loved it!