Spencer Gold's Reviews > Horace and Morris but mostly Dolores

Horace and Morris but mostly Dolores by James Howe

M 50x66
Sep 27, 11

Read in September, 2011

Horace and Morris but mostly Dolores was a great story about boys and girls. The book explored the idea younger kids get about the gender differences. Horace and Morris felt at some point they had to only hang with the boys and do typical boy things. On the other side Dolores had to conform to doing the "girl" stuff. At some point there becomes a realization that you can do whatever you want as long as your having fun.

I thought the use of colors in this story helped draw out those differences in the middle of the book. During the Dolores story there was more pink and purple and with the boys more brown and white, but lots of mess in their house. I liked how the outfits were so distinct boy characters- king, cowboy, and even Charlie Brown.

I read the story to my students today to see their reaction to it and they loved it. They were very into the boys vs. girls theme. However the end was their favorite and they told me its because girls and boys can play whatever they want.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horace and Morris but mostly Dolores.