Eighmey's Reviews > Suffer the Children: The Case against Labeling and Medicating and an Effective Alternative

Suffer the Children by Marilyn Wedge

Oct 19, 11

liked it
Read from October 09 to 19, 2011

While I found this book to be useful, I agree with what other reviews have stated: that the author tends to over simplify many of the situations and does not give very many examples of children with MAJOR problems. When I was first reading Suffer the Children I seriously thought this therapist was too good to be true, because she definitely toots her own horn quite a bit. More than half way through she FINALLY shows us that she is indeed human and has been unsuccessful with some severe cases, but she really only mentions one case.

As a parent I appreciated everything she said about why our society to is far to quick to label a child, and that the stigma of that child will stay with them FOREVER. I also commend her for thinking that medication is not the best route for parents to go when taking care of the psychological needs of their children, because it generally turns into a snow ball effect masking the true problem. Overall the book was a decent read, I have taken some of her advice to parents and will be using it in my every day life with my own children, however, many of her other recommendations I will be taking with a grain of salt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suffer the Children.