Charlie's Reviews > The Wave in the Mind: Talks & Essays on the Writer, the Reader & the Imagination

The Wave in the Mind by Ursula K. Le Guin

Oct 19, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, stories-and-essays, books-about-books, self-evolution
Read from October 13 to 19, 2011

I haven't read much of Ms Le Guin's fiction yet, though after this I certainly have a lot of respect for her and for the way she thinks. I liked most of the essays in this collection, especially "Dogs, Cats, and Dancers: Thoughts About Beauty", though I was frustrated with her gender-related essays. They tended to focus exclusively on cisgendered men and women, when there's so much more to gender than that. Considering Ms Le Guin is the author of one of the more interesting fictional accounts of gender variance out there (ie, The Left Hand of Darkness), I had expected something less binary-minded. That was my only real qualm, though; most of what I read here was funny and wise and deeply thought-provoking, and I found myself wishing I owned a copy so I could underline the living daylights out of all the brilliant stuff she was saying. Definitely worth a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wave in the Mind.