Wendy Darling's Reviews > I Want My Hat Back

I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen

Oct 14, 11

bookshelves: juvenile, candlewick, 2011-favorites, illustrated, read-2011, 2011-publication
Recommended for: Sandra Boynton fans
Read in October, 2011

What's a bear to do when he's misplaced his hat? He has to ask all the other animals he meets whether they've seen it, of course!

This charming picture book caught my eye immediately because of the humorous illustration on the cover, and I'm delighted to say that the contents are just as endearing. This story about a well-mannered bear on a quest to find his missing hat is told in simple language, and shares the same sort of gentle mischief that you might find in Sandra Boynton's books for toddlers. I chuckled quite a few times as I turned the pages, but the artwork is really where this book shines. The author/illustrator Jon Klassen did the lovely drawings for the popular The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series, and also served as an animator for the feature film Coraline.

I've included a couple of illustrations below, but if you'd like to see more images from the book or to purchase prints, one of my favorite independent galleries in Los Angeles currently has some of the artist's work available at Gallery Nucleus. You can also watch the short but adorable book trailer (that Jon Klassen made himself, btw!) to get a feel for the tone of the book as well.

I Want My Hat Back is a quick and funny read, and one that should be engaging not only for young book lovers, but entertaining for the adults in their lives as well. I can think of several sets of new parents who would absolutely love it.

An advance copy was provided by the publisher for this review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Want My Hat Back.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bonnie For some reason, I think he totally looks like a beaver. lol

Wendy Darling Hah hah, maybe his coloring? I have a soft spot for beavers, too. :) I love the sloping roundness of this bear's shape.

Bonnie Mm-hmm... I think it is his coloring. Adorable drawings though.

Wendy Darling Oh! Maybe it's also his paddle-like arms, hee hee. They look sort of like a very long beaver's tale.

I do love these illustrations so much, I was bummed to see that all the original artwork was already sold.

Bonnie Haha! You know I hadn't even noticed his little arms.

Wendy Darling I believe this bear is what they might call...rotund. :D I was actually in a card shop in Venice today (no Stony to be seen, though) and I saw one of this illustrator's cards for sale in a card shop! He apparently lives in the area, though.

I really like his work, I hadn't even realized it was the same person who did the Incorrigible Place drawings.

Bonnie Quite rotund! :)

That's interesting. I've glanced at the Incorrigible Children series but haven't actually taken the time to really look. Might have to now!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I watched the book trailer with my daughter this time, and guess what she liked the most! Music. :)
It's incredibly cute, I think I'll order this for her.

Wendy Darling The music in the trailer is really charming--it sets the tone for the book very well. :) The humor is so gentle and the artwork so lovely, which is a nice change from so many of the slick, garish picture books that are so popular these days.

I have been wanting to read Incorrigible forever, Bonnie, I still haven't gotten around to it! There isn't enough time in the world to read everything we want to read. But someday soon, I hope--I hear good things about it.

message 10: by Lisa O. (new)

Lisa O. Looks cute!

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura Omg, this is like the cutest thing ever. I LOVE the drawings and the book trailer is just so funny. And I'm in "I'm a child" mood today: I just arrived from shoping and I bought the Snow White DVD. I'm like 7 again! :D

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I remember the Boynton books! We loved reading those to my son when he was a toddler.

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber Sounds cute. Great review :)

message 14: by Wendy Darling (last edited Oct 09, 2011 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy Darling Aren't the illustrations adorable? I loved Sandra Boynton books, too, and the humor here is very similar. :)

And thanks Amber!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

This is so great that i stumbled upon this review today. I'm always looking for more really good childrens picture books! And Boynton is already held so highly in this home.

Stacey Lucky that cover is adorable!!

Wendy Darling The drawings are even cuter in person, Kate and Stacey. :) Hope you get a chance to read it soon.