Poonam's Reviews > Notes from a Big Country

Notes from a Big Country by Bill Bryson

Oct 02, 11

bookshelves: library

Received an old, decrepit copy on request from BCL. It seems to be collection of columns Bill Bryson wrote about his move from England to US. I always maintain Bill Bryson is funny in parts. Some of his columns about America's love of rules, love for idea of convenience (half the convenience products are actually inconvenient, drive-in window takes more time in queue than going in and eating, no one walks etc etc), inefficiency, love to sue anybody and everybody, general stupidity and dumb instructions, too many choices that complicate etc. That Miss Alabama's stupid speech also figures in one of the columns.

I had fun in initial columns - initial being after page 39 (pages before that were missing in the library book)- meaning I laughed a lot. Later I got used to the drift and was reading just out of curiosity.

Book is replete with things we already know of but it was interesting to read so many funny anecdotes to support it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notes from a Big Country.