Susan's Reviews > They Only Eat Their Husbands

They Only Eat Their Husbands by Cara Lopez Lee

Sep 29, 11

Read from September 27 to 29, 2011

I've read many memoirs, but it's rare when an author really opens up and divulges her innermost insecurities. Cara Lopez Lee never leaves a question unanswered and brings the reader right into her roller coaster world of abandonment, commitment phobic/alcoholic boyfriends, and her colorful surroundings. I have to admit that I was looking forward to her world travels more than her story set in Alaska. But I found myself devouring the latter! Her Alaskan love triangle was so intense in its dark and cold--yet beautiful--setting. I feel like I can picture Alaska now, even though I've never stepped foot there. And of course the foreign travel parts were exciting and insightful. The title comes from a comical section of the book that took me by surprise. It's a very endearing scene and one I often thought about while I read the rest of the book. No matter your background, you'll be able to take something from this book, whether it's how to stand up for yourself, how to steer clear of an unhealthy relationship, how to trust your instincts, or how to live according to your rules. I can't wait to read her next book!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read They Only Eat Their Husbands.