Rebecca's Reviews > Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution

1209210
Oct 22, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from October 19 to 22, 2011

The thing I love about historical fiction is that it educates you on what that time period was like, but also makes it exciting and less boring than a non-fiction would be. I also don't feel as guilty reading historical fiction since I'm learning about history while reading. That being said, I was very drawn in by the storyline of this book. I liked it. I can't say that I loved it, but that was only because of the last half and the "chopping off of everyone's head" storyline that was real and disturbing at times. The only other time I've learned about the French Revolution was watching "The Scarlet Pimpernel" with Jane Seymore (love this movie) but that mainly showed the aristocrasy's point of view. This book was fascinating in that it showed both points of view and the author made it very real and vivid in many instances. I could empathize with the Third Class (commoners) and their plight of being starving and underpaid and overtaxed, while the nobility was worried about which dress to wear to the ball. I get that, but I think at some point anarchy happened and a few men, heavily influenced by Satan, took over and all hell, literally, broke loose.

I also never realized that the new government that was created by the people actually enacted a law to forbid people from giving tithing to the church and actually forced the nuns and monks out of the church and also did away, eventually, with the whole institution. They even went as far as "equilizing" Christ by calling him Citizen Jesus. It was a really wicked time in French History and it was so riviting, I just had to read more and find out what happened.

I probably should mention that Marie Tussaud was an extraordinary lady with amazing talents. It was fascinating to learn more about her. I just wish that she wasn't so career driven. That's all I'll say!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Madame Tussaud.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Christina I really love historical fiction for those reasons as well. I have a book that you might enjoy, but is pretty uncomfortable as moments as well. It's called "The Heretics Daughter" about the Salem Witch Trials. I learned a few things and still enjoyed the book well afterwards even though the truth of the Salem trials were awful.

Christina ** but has pretty uncomfortable moments as well (is what I meant to say. Anyways I have a copy if your interested. Perfect for Halloween!