Melissa's Reviews > Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do

Traffic by Tom Vanderbilt

Sep 27, 11

I only gave this three stars, but please don't misunderstand. There's nothing wrong with the book, it's just that, personally, I couldn't help but wonder every so often why I was reading this book about something that is, for better or for worse, pretty banal. However, I really am glad I read it, because I do believe that reading it will make anyone into a safer driver, bicyclist, and pedestrian. I'm usually a bicyclist myself, and I think this book helped me get a better feeling for how drivers who don't also bicycle regard me -- if they regard me at all!

I'd say the main points I got out of this book are that speed kills, so slow the heck down, that safety measures cause people to drive faster and with less safety, so you have to be particularly vigilant while walking in crosswalks, for instance, and that I am just so utterly thankful to live in a city where I can ride my bicycle to and from work!! I'd forgotten just how detrimental it can be to one's life to commute in traffic in a car! Also, I'm happy to be I'm the US instead of in, say, Delhi! Delhi sounds like hell on wheels --get it? ON WHEELS!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Traffic.