Bonnie's Reviews > Touch of Power

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Sep 13, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, ya, arcs, first-in-series
Read from September 27 to 30, 2011

Expected Publication Date: December 20th 2011

Touch of Power was kindly provided to me by Netgalley for Harlequin.

Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

The Storyline
Touch of Power is a new series by Maria V. Snyder that introduces Avry of Kazan, a Healer who is able to take illnesses away from another and take them as her own. The only illness that she can’t take without expecting to survive is the plague. Unfortunately, people believe that Healers are the reason the plague exists and she is forced to keep her abilities hidden from others. When she’s abducted by a band of rogues and told that they require her help to heal a prince who is sickened with the plague she must decide who’s life is worth more because only one of them will be able to survive.

Thoughts
This is actually the first novel I’ve read by Maria V. Snyder so I’m unable to compare it to her past works. I must say I did enjoy it, although I was hoping for more in the end. Even though this book is marketed to YA, I appreciated the fact that the main character was 20 years old and actually acted her age.

Overall there was a major disconnect in the building of the story as a whole for me. I would have loved to see more explanation regarding Avry and maybe some information about her past. It was briefly touched upon but I think it could have been expanded even more. The world that Avry lived in had the potential to be a truly fascinating fantasy world but the author didn’t seem to find it fitting to expand upon that either. The lacking of explanation really made everything really confusing because it seemed like a fantasy world in olden times but there were various modern references that didn’t exactly fit. The author did best with the character development, their relationships, and their interactions.

I’m not sure if I’m left with enough interest to continue the series but I’m sure this will become a favorite of die-hard Maria V. Snyder fans. Unfortunately, that just doesn’t include me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch of Power.

09/27/2011 page 7
2.0% "Well shit. "I'm just gonna read a few pages and see if I like it." And now I'm hooked." 4 comments
09/27/2011 page 69
17.0% "Good so far. I would have liked a bit more world-building and maybe a bit more background on Avry though."
09/27/2011 page 98
25.0% "For some reason I feel like there's something missing... I don't know. Maybe I'm just delusional." 12 comments
09/28/2011 page 117
29.0% "Okay the game of hide and seek kind of threw me." 16 comments
09/29/2011 page 188
47.0% "*GASP* Holy moly....And dammit! I have to cook dinner now."
09/30/2011 page 245
61.0% "Slightly losing interest.. this journey is DRAGGING."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead haha... I'll be joining you soon.

Bonnie Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "haha... I'll be joining you soon."

:D Good.

Shera (Book Whispers) Oh, you did you get your hands on a ARC?

Bonnie Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "Oh, you did you get your hands on a ARC?"

Netgalley! :D

Shera (Book Whispers) Must seek it out!!

Is it in the same vien as her Poison and Glass books? Or is this a completely new world?

Bonnie This is actually the first Maria V. Snyder book I've read so I wouldn't have a clue. lol I'm loving it already and will definitely be checking her other stuff out.

Shera (Book Whispers) She's an amazing author you definitely should!

Bonnie Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "She's an amazing author you definitely should!"

Thanks! I sure will.

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews I love Snyder's work, and requested this as well, but haven't heard anything yet.

Bonnie Shelley wrote: "I love Snyder's work, and requested this as well, but haven't heard anything yet."

Well I hope you do soon! I'm finding it quite interesting so far. :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Shelley wrote: "I love Snyder's work, and requested this as well, but haven't heard anything yet."

Shelley, I hope they approve you. I hate being a fan of an author, seeing the books on netgalley, and then not being approved.

Bonnie Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "Shelley wrote: "I love Snyder's work, and requested this as well, but haven't heard anything yet."

Ugh I know. I've had that problem in the past, although Netgalley has been really nice lately for which I feel fortunate.

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "Shelley wrote: "I love Snyder's work, and requested this as well, but haven't heard anything yet."

Thanks Michelle. I haven't even bothered trying lately since I've been denied like a basketball player going up for a dunk to win the game.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Bonnie wrote: "Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "Shelley wrote: "I love Snyder's work, and requested this as well, but haven't heard anything yet."

Shelley, I hope they approve you. I hate being a fan of ..."

Lately, I haven't been denied at all but some books, they don't approve me either. They leave me in infinite limbo. It makes me feel better though, I take the rejection personally! LOL

Bonnie Shelley wrote: "Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "Shelley wrote: "I love Snyder's work, and requested this as well, but haven't heard anything yet."

Shelley, I hope they approve you. I hate being a fan of ..."

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews Now, the worse thing to happen to me is nearing the point of no return. Our library is cutting not only it's hours, but it's budget to buy new and forthcoming books! Anyone hiring these days?

Bonnie My library is doing the same thing and that's where I get a lot of my books too. They're now not open on Saturdays and Sundays and those are the days I usually go! Very sad.

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews Bonnie, I have that I've reviewed over 1200 books, that once upon a midnights dream I was in the top 10 of reviewers on this POS. I also have a boring ass blog which only has 2 followers :O) and I belong to Librarything.com as well.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Bonnie wrote: "What's your public bio look like? I know that I got denied like crazy for a good long while but once I built up my reviews and I gave them the link to my GR and blog they started approving me...."

I'm way behind on my reviews and with some publishing companies, I think they are noticing. I don't mind though. I really need to reduce my bookshelves and actually read the books I own! I think I sabotaged myself on purpose so that I could catch up!

Bonnie Hmmm... well sheesh, I don't know then Shelley. lol I'd certainly approve you. :)

Michelle - I'm in the same boat. I'm all caught up on my reviews from books I have read but I have so many from netgalley to read still. It'd be in their best interest to stop approving me so I could catch up. lol

Bonnie Lol I spoke too soon. I just got a rejection for a recent request for Netgalley.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Bonnie wrote: "Lol I spoke too soon. I just got a rejection for a recent request for Netgalley."

See, you didn't need the book anyways! It's fate.

Bonnie :D You're probably right...

message 24: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Oh I thought you,were really liking this...fell at the end?

Bonnie I don't think it ever really came together but I think it was just me. haha

message 26: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Bonnie wrote: "I don't think it ever really came together but I think it was just me. haha"

Good to know I thought about requesting I will skip it. Too many other good ones!

Shera (Book Whispers) I had no idea it was YA. Honestly thought it was adult like her other EF.

Bonnie Yep, YA. I mean it wasn't BAD... but it definitely wasn't great in my opinion.

Shera (Book Whispers) Sad bunnies. I'm still pre-ordering this one. I loved her first EF books so much. She's one of those authors I'll follow anywere.

message 30: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling Bonnie wrote: "I mean it wasn't BAD... but it definitely wasn't great in my opinion."

This sums up how I felt about the Magic Study series. I think she's one of those authors you either love or you don't.

Bonnie Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "Sad bunnies. I'm still pre-ordering this one. I loved her first EF books so much. She's one of those authors I'll follow anywere."

Well, like I said, I'm sure some people will love this it just unfortunately wasn't for me. I was pretty disappointed because I was actually looking forward to it.

Bonnie Wendy Darling wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "I mean it wasn't BAD... but it definitely wasn't great in my opinion."

Yep, realizing that now. And I'm one that doesn't... oh well. It happens.

message 33: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling Hah hah, indeed. ;)

Shera (Book Whispers) Yeah, I think thats how most readers are with her work. I've never met someone who was in between.

message 35: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I actually enjoyed this book because it reminded me of Poison Study - a lot. I agree with you, the world building could have been expanded, more could have been explained, but I did like the book.

Hope you find a 5 star read soon!

Bonnie :D Thanks AH, I'm sure I will. I'm glad you enjoyed it at least.

Shera (Book Whispers) AH wrote: "I actually enjoyed this book because it reminded me of Poison Study - a lot. I agree with you, the world building could have been expanded, more could have been explained, but I did like the book. ..."

That's good!!! That means I should LOVE this one. ^_-