Davina Cuffee's Reviews > All the World

All the World by Liz Garton Scanlon

Sep 27, 2011

1) Picture Book-Other

2) A family spends time together all day while enjoying the earth and all it has to offer, from the ocean in the day, to the night sky.

3a) Family centered; Incorporated Spanish text

3b) This is a great book for families to read together. It shows how much a family can do together and how important family is. The incorporation of Spanish was a great idea because some children have English as a second language, and this book will be a good way to help ESL students.

3c) The book showed the family playing together at the beach, gardening and farming together, playing, and eating together. The best part of the book I liked was when the family sat together in the living room and entertained one another (p. 33). Every word and phrase in the book is translated into Spanish on the bottom of the page. On the cover, “All the World” was translated to “Todo el Mundo”.

4) The curriculum connection can be taken any direction with this book, but I think I would use it for language arts because this gives students the opportunity to free write about their family and what they do within a day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the World.