Brandon Witt's Reviews > Personal Demon

Personal Demon by Kelley Armstrong

Sep 27, 2011

liked it
Read in January, 2008 — I own a copy

I never thought the day would come where I would give Kelley Armstrong fewer than five stars. From her very first book, I have devoured the series, each book getting better and better than the last. I love keeping up with characters that are nearly family to me at this point. With that said, this latest installment was a disappointment. I nearly stopped reading for the first 150 or so pages. I was bored, found the new characters flat, and felt like I was reading a poorly developing mystery/crime fighting novel (all of her books have the `who-done-it' premise, but are, most of the time, so much more). The story felt rushed and forced. I know Kelley has started a new crime series that is not supernatural (which is great, always wonderful for an artist to spread their wings), and it seemed like this book attempted to be a crossover between what the series has been thus far and what her new fiction has been about. Nearly halfway through the book, I finally got hooked, and tore through the last half. It felt like I was reading Kelley Armstrong again. The first part of the book I would rate 1 star, the second 4, so I am compromising and labeling a 3. If you are a loyal fan of Kelley, you will still enjoy this book. If you are new to her, read her other work first and build up to this one. While Hope Adams is my least favorite Woman of the Underworld thus far, I have high hopes that she can be further developed in the next installment. She has great potential as a truly deep and multifaceted character.
However, I've devoured every novel since and have loved every one!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Personal Demon.