Elizabeth's Reviews > Aristotle

Sep 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011, religion
Read in September, 2011

FINISHED!

Despite the fact that I technically have BA in Philosophy (Concentrating in Religious Studies), I find Philosophy to be incredibly challenging.

I actually picked this up when some friends were discussing Summa Theologica by Aquinas, Saint Thomas. One friend suggested reading up on Aristotle before tackling Summa Theologica and so I went ahead and got this recommended book.

There was a lot to digest in this book and reading slowly was all I could do. The chapter on the structure of the sciences was fascincating. The chapter on Logic, axioms and propositions and terms, made me want to get out a pencil and make a picture to try and understand what in the world he was talking about.

The whole book was fascinating. And while most of Aristotle's science has been proven false, I can't help be think that we (humans) had to start somewhere and Aristotle was clearly one of the men it started with.

I think the thing I will with me the most is: number and color are attributes dependent on the existance of a substance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aristotle.

09/12/2011 page 90
51.0% "I'm slowly making my way through."