MISS VAIN's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Sep 27, 2011

bookshelves: choke-me-spank-me-pull-my-hair, series-that-i-m-obsessed-with, fifty-shades-of-fucked-up, kinky-fuckery
Recommended to MISS VAIN by: Laura Carson
Recommended for: My Terrible Girls ;)
Read from March 06 to 08, 2012

"You want hearts and flowers. Anastasia.” His voice is soft. “It’s not something I know.” Gasp, and I’m Eve in the Garden of Eden, and he’s the serpent, and I cannot resist. Who can resist temptation in the Garden of Eden?? I know Eve sure couldn't, and guess what, she was just as guilty of consequences as the serpent, because she knewbetter.

Anastasia is a brilliant, charming, beautiful, witty, easily relatable protagonist that I simply adored. From the moment Anastasia Steele meets Christian Grey, the fun, sexy, dark, scary, challenging, beautiful, thrill ride began. She was warned by Christian to stay far away from him, he was no good for her, but she couldn't resist the temptation for this beautiful "Fifty shades of Fucked" up man.

"Anastasia, you should steer clear of me. I’m not the man for you."

Let me just start out by saying that E.L. James took me on a dark, spectacular, sexy, scary thrill ride that I never want to forget. In Fifty Shades of Grey were introduced to chivalrous bad boy Christian Grey  *Fan girl scream, jumping up and down, screaming* CEO and multi-millionaire entrepreneur.

"Because I’m fifty shades of fucked up, Anastasia.”

Anastasia is a wholesome twenty one year old college graduate with goals, values, and self respect. She's completely smitten with this lustworthy Christian Grey immediately. What I found so fascinating about her was that she wasn't willing to bow down and succumb to Christian's rules and regulations. She's intelligent, and doesn't take no for an answer and pushes the envelope when  she should.

"You know, when you fell into my office to interview me, you were all ‘yes, sir’, ‘no, sir’. I thought you were a natural born submissive. But quite frankly, Anastasia, I’m not sure you have a submissive bone in your delectable body.” He moves slowly toward me as his speaks, his voice tense."

Whereas Christian is wealthy, gorgeous, arrogant, charismatic, bossy, domineering and is unfamiliar with boundaries and the word NO. Since Anna is the first woman willing to love him in spite of his darkness, while showering him with love, but not bowing down to his demands while exposing his vulnerable side hes had hidden behind his dark vices for too long. This throws Christian for a loop and he can't help but stay fascinated with the intelligent, and charming Anastasia Steele.

This book explores love, lust, pain, fear, trust, and pushes the boundaries while doing  it. The succulent Domineering Christian is an emotional virgin, a victim of sexual abuse by an older woman as a young teen has left him empty, and hollow, and unable of having a relationship based on love and not pain, that is until he meets  feisty fun-loving Anastasia Steele.

Poor, fucked-up, kinky, philanthropic Christian – though I’m sure he wouldn’t see himself this way and would repel any thoughts of sympathy or pity.

This an adult romantic fantasy book, and those that disagree with the behavior of the the female protagonist and her male love interests are forgetting one very important detail: Anastasia NEVER SIGNS THE SUB/DOM CONTRACT Christian gave her.

This is not a book about abuse, or rape, calculated anger, this is a book about a broken man, a lovely woman, who enter into a consensual BDSM relationship. This is a couple who engage in a romantic relationship with an advantageous sex life, and here thanks to E.L. James, we get to witness first hand, the wonderful, the unbelievably sad and tumultuous nature of the that relationship.

I agree to the conditions Angel, because you know best what my punishment ought to be; only-only- don't make it worse than I can bear.

Fifty shades of Grey contains some of the most fun, playful, loving, whirlwind exciting romantic scenes and my most cherished moments in this book was the playful loving interaction between Christian and Anastasia via email. Those I won't spoil for you, but the at where my love affair with these two progressed.

"I don’t do the girlfriend thing. ‘I’m not a hearts and flowers kind of guy.‘I don’t make love.’ This is all I know."

I am completly obsessed with this trilogy. From the gorgeous Christian Grey *takes up all the space in my fantasies lately* Anastasia is a wonderful character, that I feel represents a strong willed, positively portrayed female.

When I wasn't reading Fifty, I was thinking about it. I was enamored with this book immediately and I'm now obsessed with this series! This book is not for the faint of heart but it is beautiful, passionate and by the last chapter left me broken and hollow myself, I was sobbing; but those tumultuous love stories are always my most cherished, memorable, favorite, obsessive and fascinating reads. I loved Fifty Shades of Grey!!!!!

Oh – what have I done?

I fall onto my bed, shoes and all, and howl. The pain is indescribable… physical, mental… metaphysical… it is everywhere, seeping into the marrow of my bones. Grief. This is grief – and I’ve brought it on myself. Deep down, a nasty, unbidden thought comes from my inner goddess, her lip curled in a snarl… the physical pain from the bite of a belt is nothing, nothing compared to this devastation. I curl up, desperately clutching the flat foil balloon and Taylor’s handkerchief, and surrender myself to my grief.

Like what you see here, check out my reviews at: http://MissVainsParanormalFantasy.com

This book was recommended to me by my Terrible Girls; Aly, Ange, Mrs. Vishous, Samina, Marulette, Merita, Emmy The Fiction Vixen, Jade, Roxanne, HeatherJay......I can't believe I waited this long to read this, but Laura gifted me these books so that's what finally persuaded me!;) XO

Quotes MISS VAIN Liked

E.L. James
“Does this mean you’re going to make love to me tonight, Christian?” Holy shit. Did I just say that? His mouth drops open slightly, but he recovers quickly.
“No, Anastasia it doesn’t. Firstly, I don’t make love. I fuck… hard. Secondly, there’s a lot more paperwork to do, and thirdly, you don’t yet know what you’re in for. You could still run for the hills. Come, I want to show you my playroom.”
My mouth drops open. Fuck hard! Holy shit, that sounds so… hot. But why are we looking at a playroom? I am mystified.
“You want to play on your Xbox?” I ask. He laughs, loudly.
“No, Anastasia, no Xbox, no Playstation. Come.”… Producing a key from his pocket, he unlocks yet another door and takes a deep breath.
“You can leave anytime. The helicopter is on stand-by to take you whenever you want to go, you can stay the night and go home in the morning. It’s fine whatever you decide.”
“Just open the damn door, Christian.”
He opens the door and stands back to let me in. I gaze at him once more. I so want to know what’s in here. Taking a deep breath I walk in.
And it feels like I’ve time-traveled back to the sixteenth century and the Spanish Inquisition.
Holy fuck.

E.L. James
“Why don't you like to be touched" Ana whispered, staring up into soft grey eyes.
"Because I'm fifty shades of fucked-up, Anastasia”

E.L. James
“- "Why don't you like to be touched?"
- "Because I'm fifty shades of fucked-up, Anastasia”

E.L. James
“He grabs me suddenly and yanks me up against him, one hand at my back holding me to him and the other fisting in my hair.
"You're one challenging woman," He kisses me, forcing my lips apart with his tongue, taking no prisoners.
"It's taking all my self-control not to fuck you on the hood of this car, just to show you that you're mine, and if I want to buy you a fucking car, I'll buy you a fucking car," he growls.”

E.L. James
“Don't get your panties in such a twist... and give me back mine.”

“Laters, baby.”

03/06/2012 page 89
25.0% "Oh Christian Grey, if lusting after you is wrong, I don't wanna be right!" 62 comments
03/07/2012 page 179
50.0% "Christian Grey just sent me a winking smiley… Oh my...I fire up Google."

Comments (showing 61-110)

Aly is so frigging bored You have to read this! It's very good, the 2nd one at least :D

MISS VAIN I know I hear it's great. It's funny because this isn't something I would usually read. Lol

Aly is so frigging bored Me neither :D A friend roped me into it and thanks to it I got my reading mojo back :D so trust me, it was very good :D

message 107: by Ange (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ange Hi Miss Vain, start it asap!!! It is hot hot hot. Haven't finished yet, but golly josh is it good ;)

MISS VAIN Okay my lovely friends Aly and Ange; Since I've dedicated December as my smut month, I shall make this a December read too!!!!:))))

Aly is so frigging bored :))))) You won't have enough hours to read them all =))

MISS VAIN Aly ~Thanatos~ wrote: ":))))) You won't have enough hours to read them all =))"

I know huh?! ;)

Aly is so frigging bored BTW do you have a list or shelf with those which you wanna read?

MISS VAIN LOL. Just a tally list that's waaaaaaayy too long for me to be able to finish in December.:)

Sorry I'm responding so late, I'm barely getting downtime in my hotel bed.:)
Send me an email, tell me what's going on with school.

message 100: by [deleted user] (new)

When does this pick up? I'm on chapter 4, I think? I set it down after finding out it started life as a Twilight fanfiction, but it still nags at me cause everyone is reading it!

MISS VAIN Probably chapter 8 Fry? When they start emailing in chapter 9ish he's pretty adorable....LOL, it's soooo weird because I heard that too, but I just can't picture this Twilight fan fiction....lol. That's why I'm reading it (because everyone is talking about it) ;)

message 98: by [deleted user] (new)

That's not so bad, I think I can hold on for that long.

MISS VAIN Yes catch up Fry, and tell me what you're thinking!!;) At least after chapter 9 you can read my spoiler tags above and hear my main gripe.;)

message 96: by Ange (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ange OOOHHHH Goody, you're reading it!!

What do you think so far?

☆ јⓐⓓε ☆  About time Ms Vain. I'm glad you r reading it. I loooooove Christian!

Chris I am thrilled to see all the good reviews for this one. What do you think so far? I heard about this one on a talk show where Dr Drew was asking why so many women like this book so I had to check it out!

MISS VAIN Hi Ange, almost finished! I'm liking it!;)

Hi Jade, I like Christian too!;) How shallow am I that if he were poor he would loose some of his self appeal to me?! Ha!

Cristin, that is what made me want to read it. Dr Drew is being ridiculous and he's never read the book. It's fantasy. Besides, he spanks her in the bedroom but he's not a beater or anything, it's all consensual play, I think people get confused there with that.....long time no speak Cristin!;)

Jamie Screwed up characters are the best!

Samina ~ Escapism~ As I said I knew you will love this Miss Vain.You dig?

MISS VAIN Agreed Jamie, I love them the most and their tumultuous relationships are evoke strong emotions out of me. Not sure I'll be able to write my review until I've fully processed it!!;)

Totally dig Samina!!

Laura Carson Oh the more drama and issues the more I get into a book. I think we're all a little masochistic at heart lol. I picked up The Reluctant Dom because everyone was talking about how heartbreaking it was. Cried for 20 pages, and loved it in the end lol.

MISS VAIN It made me cry too!!! Already LOVIN book 2!! I love emotional books so much!!;)

Chris Love the new bookshelf! lol

MISS VAIN Hi Cristin!!!
Oh isn't it just so visual! Lol. ;) Just added it today, in our honor of my lover Christian Grey! Hehe

Chris Haha...definetly made me laugh :). This is next on my to read list but it is taking me forever to get through a book these days. I got promoted at work
which is great but I'm losing all my free time. Wish I could just read and blog!

MISS VAIN Haha!!! I added 3 shelves, so which are you referring to?

Congratulations!!! on your promotion!! That's amazing, :)
Seriously blogging takes up tins of time!!!! I've read half the amount of books this year than last year, due to bloggin. This series is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)
I love Christian Grey, the same as I love Bones and Terrible and you know that's pretty big!;)

Chris Thanks! I love the job so far.

"kinky-fuckery" was the one I liked. I'm guessing this book was quite a change from the YA books!

Selfish of me but I am glad you're blogging :) Love checking out the latest. Hope they send you some great ARCS and treats for reviewing all those books!

MISS VAIN Glad you love your job!;)

Kinky-Fuckery is from the book lol. Very big change, you know me I get bored if I read too many YA books lol. You need to read this!

I love blogging too, but you're rarely online and we have blog tours with our ARC books in the TG group, I am happy to share them with you as well, just a mailbox away. :)

Chris Thanks! Very sweet offer! If work calms down, I will take you up on that...start writing some more reviews and get a real blog going :)

MISS VAIN Of course!;) We have sign- up on our Terrible Group all the time, just look from time to time.:) I'll show you in a PM some I have coming. :)

Are you starting a blog?? Whaaaat?! That's awesome.:)

message 79: by Ange (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ange Miss vain, I'm so glad you loved it! That's why I was bugging you back in nov last year to start reading this amazing series :)

It's definately a series I could read again.

Ange :)

message 78: by Emmy (last edited Mar 13, 2012 01:19AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emmy Great review! I just have to add comment about him wearing that tie at graduation. *fans self*

MISS VAIN Ange, it was amazing!!!:) I love Christian Grey soooo much!! It's funny because I forgot to read these and then my friend Laura gave me the trilogy, so I couldn't pass it up!!;)
P.s. I put all my Terrible Girls (including you) that recommended this to me.:)))

Long time no chat!! Ange, what's up with that??!
XO

MISS VAIN Thanks Emmy The Fiction Vixen :) I mention the gray silk tie *its gettin hot in here* in review for book two :) *starting book 3*

message 75: by Ange (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ange I know, I'm so sorry miss vain. I've taken on a new role at work which takes up a lot of my time :(
But I think of you all the time, I miss our chats!!

Keep reading the rest of the books, they won't disappoint. You should also become friends with Ms James, she will really like to read your review. Well written as usual my Beautiful friend!!

MISS VAIN Okay I will do that! Thank you for the suggestion!!;)

I'm happy you have a promotion but I really hate your busy and can't visit :(. I know the feeling because my blog takes up lots of time too, but please do find a little time to squeeze me in for a chat!;) XOXO Miss You!!;)

message 73: by Ange (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ange P.S thanks for accepting Ellen as a friend.... Notice the resemblance??

MISS VAIN Ange wrote: "P.S thanks for accepting Ellen as a friend.... Notice the resemblance??"

Your sister?? You both look identical. You know what's funny is that I accepted her request, and then I looked at her pic and thought she was so pretty!;) Thanks for sending her my way!!;)

message 71: by Ange (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ange Not my sister, my daughter ;)

MISS VAIN Ange wrote: "Not my sister, my daughter ;)"

I knew she was your daughter, but still could pass for sisters, you look young enough!;)

MISS VAIN Glad she's my friend, tell her not to be a stranger, and you either!!!!

message 68: by Ange (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ange Will do, now get back to Christian and Ana. Enjoy xx

Merita Great review Miss Vain :)

MISS VAIN Thank you Ange, Merita, and Jade!;) (Why do I think that has to do with the fact that you're names are at the bottom?) LOL

Marulett I loved your review, by far one of the best I read :)

MISS VAIN Really Marulett?? Yeah, I bet your saying that because your name is in it!! ROTFL

But THANK YOU Marulett!!;) XOXO

Marulett I didn´t notice it! ahahahaa...I read it first from your blog, and then when I saw it here I just put the comment! LOL

MISS VAIN Ahahahaha!!! Well then you're compliment sounds more genuine then hehehe!!!;)

THANK YOU for visiting my blog!;)

« previous 1 3