Roberta's Reviews > A Bitter Truth

A Bitter Truth by Charles Todd

Sep 29, 11

Read on September 27, 2011

This mystery, one of the many I've read by Charles Todd, is part of his new series which "stars" Bess Crawford, a nursing sister in the first World War. This is the second book in which Todd and his mother are listed as collaborators even though her name does not appear on the book cover. I found the pace of the story very uneven-- fascinating at the beginning with descriptions of Lydia's home where the moor and forest are bleak in winter and at the end where the discovery of the actual murderer brings on chase scenes down unpaved roads in cars with no heat, There is utter surprise at who is the murderer. In the middle of the story, there is much speculating over and over by everyone -- the police, the Ellis family at Vixon Hill, the nursing sister, and the gossipy townfolk of Hartsfield. That got tiresome to me. But maybe that's how a murder is solved, in fits and starts, with lots of intuitive guessing on all sides. Todd's character development and descriptive passages of the countryside and the War at the front are excellent, as usual. I will read the author's next book, but I'm kind of missing his earlier detective, Ian Rutledge, and his internal sidekick, Hamish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Bitter Truth.