Asma's Reviews > Shadow Princess

F 50x66
Sep 27, 2011

bookshelves: women-fiction
Read in January, 2007

this was the third book i read for indu sundaesan. it was unique in some way. of course like her previous books i read, it took me to the 17th century india, but it also described the the building of the taj mahal and how shah jahan dedicated most of his time after his wife mumtaz mahal's death to build the tajmahal. in the mean time his aldest daughter jahanar took a leading role in leading the empire.
the book shows that in the time when there was no women rights some women used their intellegence to get things done the way they wanted this is evident in jahanara and mehrunnissa.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Princess.

Vicar Sayeedi Thanks for this review, Asma. I'm hoping to read this trilogy soon. I've studied Mughal history extensively so this should be very interesting for me.

Mehrunnisa and Jahanara were very influential, yes. But also Arjumand Banu and Rajkumari Jodha. I think influential/powerful women in Mughal Hindustan were not as rare as commonly believed.

I recently stumbled upon this series while publishing my new novel, "Legacy of The Peacock Throne" - a work of historical fiction about the lives of Princess Jahanara's parents, Shah Jahan and Mumtaz - and I was taken by surprise to find another story about the same family/dynasty. Best wishes.

Vicar... (Goodreads Author)