Bonnie's Reviews > Animal Farm

Animal Farm by George Orwell

Sep 27, 2011

bookshelves: classics, audiobooks, 1001, z-2011, library-audio
Read from October 01 to 02, 2011

Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

Another on my list of Banned/Challenged books.

Having missed this in my childhood education it's always been one that I've heard so many things about but have never been able to experience. I have to say that I'm quite glad I didn't read this until later in life because I don't believe I'd be able to appreciate it or understand it half as much as I would have in my early teens. I remember hearing about this book when I was younger and thinking that it was literally about animals.

I was amazed at how easy a read it was (although I stopped about halfway and started listening to it on audiobook) yet how complex the topic really was. At the start of the book their rebellion against their owners was a beautiful thing and their strength was remarkable.

"The animals were happy as they had never conceived it possible to be. Every mouthful of food was an acute positive pleasure, now that it was truly their own food, produced by themselves and for themselves, not doled out to them by a grudging master."

Unfortunately, as time progressed, social classes were established. I found myself so wrapped up in this book that when the pigs that ruled and had all the privileges would change rules at random to suit their needs I was groaning and pitying these other animals who suffered because of it. The ending was inevitable and despite the fact that I saw it coming it still left me gasping. An incredible that was well worth the read; a novel I won’t be forgetting anytime soon.

"ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL, BUT SOME ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal Farm.

11/30/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Marwa (new)

Marwa Elgebaly اول مرة اقرا مزرعة الحيوان كان من7سنين و ف خلال السبع سنين قريته اكتر من10 مرات و مزهقتش منه بجد ممتع وكل مرة كنت بستفيد منه
اكتر من المرة اللى قبلها انا عرفت معنى الانقلاب و الثورة عن طريقه

message 2: by Eileen (new)

Eileen The barn with the Seven commandments really opened my eyes to the book as a whole. As changes come along, the ruling pigs make the major changes and the rest of the animals struggle to comprehend what has been done. Originally started off as a democracy, but soon after Napoleon declared the ending of all meetings after Snowball had been chased away. I looooved Booker, my heart would break for him every page he was in. Having the most loyalty in faith but still treated as an animal (haha)
Communism runs rampant.