UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish's Reviews > Lord of the Abyss

Lord of the Abyss by Nalini Singh

Oct 15, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed-for-netgalley, reviewed-by-me, keepers, series-royal-house-of-shadows, last-in-the-series, ghosts-souls, damned, 2011-reads, 5-stars, author-nalini-singh, magicians-mages-witches, virginal-hero, virginal-heroine, books-for-review
Recommended for: Fans of truly romantic, sweet and sexy stories.
Read from October 01 to 02, 2011 — I own a copy

There is a lineage of blood that ties mother to child, a lineage that can never be broken. And it is this lineage the queen used to cast her children away from Elden, to safety, so they could one day return and reclaim their stolen birthright.

It was a mother’s last loving gift, yet the Blood Sorcerer boasts even now that Queen Alvina failed, that he twisted her magic at the end so that instead of finding safe harbor, the heirs of Elden fell into death. There is no one left alive to contradict him.

—From the Royal Chronicles of Elden, on the third day of the Reign of the Blood Sorcerer

Lord of the Abyss is the fourth and final book in the Royal House of Shadows series and one of the sweetest, sexiest, most romantic books I’ve read in a very long time. It doesn’t often happen that I find myself in love with both the hero and the heroine, but Micah and Liliana are amazing people who I couldn’t help but adore. Both tortured by pasts very different from one another are yet so very much alike in their single mindedness and honor, and they will do the right thing regardless of the cost to themselves. They are, quite simply put, the stuff legends are made of.

The world that Nalini Singh created in this installment of the series was awesome. The creatures, the beings… Mouse, Jissa and Bard, I loved them all, even the ghosts who roam the halls of the Black Castle! And speaking of the Black Castle, the lore surrounding it and the Abyss is magically fairytaleesque and so vivid. In my mind’s eye I could see every room, every plant, every food, every… everything and I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough to see what would happen next. I was totally captivated by the entire tale and as I read I felt somehow honored to be privy to their thoughts and feelings.

Now, about the story. In the previous books, Lord of the Vampires, Lord of Rage and Lord of the Wolfyn, we learn that when their kingdom was attacked by the Blood Sorcerer, Aelfric and Alvina, the King and Queen of Elden, fought for all they held dear, willing to give up their lives if needed to protect their children, their kingdom, and all who dwelt there. When they realized that they were going to die, their final act was one of love, one last effort to protect their children by weaving a powerful spell which sent the four royal heirs, Nicolai, Breena, Dayn and Micah, into different realms in hopes that one day they’d find their way home and defeat the Blood Sorcerer. Each book tells the story of one of the siblings and their journey back to Elden, not knowing exactly what they’d find when they got there.

The way the story develops throughout the first three books, I expected a battle of epic proportions in Lord of the Abyss, but when the battle actually takes place, it really wasn’t much of a battle at all. And much to my disappointment, there was little interaction between these siblings who are seeing each other for the first time in twenty years. Twenty years apart and yet there was no celebration! Or at least, not one we were invited to. So while I loved the story overall, truly loved it, I was very disappointed that we didn’t see some kind of grand reunion, or even a so-so reunion… but there was really nothing much at all, and that’s my only complaint about the book. Had it not ended so abruptly, this would have easily been a 5+++ star read, but even with the ending as it is, I’m still rating this 5 stars, and adding Micah and Liliana to my Top Couples Of All Time shelf.

The bottom line – I still breathe a sigh of contentment when I think of Micah and Liliana, and how very happy their story made me. Dark yet hopeful, tragic yet joyous, Lord of the Abyss is one of my very favorite stories and I know, without a doubt, I’ll be reading it time and time again.

My sincerest thanks to netgalley.com and Harlequin books for providing me with a copy of this wonderful ARC ebook.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Abyss.

10/06
22.0% "My heart just breaks for Micah."
02/08 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia LUCKY!!! I've been looking forward to this one!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Me too! I'm so excited!!!

message 3: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Enjoy! Keep us posted with updates!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I'm finishing up Envy (The Fallen Angels, #3) by J.R. Ward today, then I'll be on this one!

message 5: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia I haven't read Crave yet, I keep reading mixed reviews. Is Envy good? I could wait for your review, for an answer.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Oh, Envy is fabulous! I'm surprised at the level of emotion in the story. Floored actually. I'm a huge WARDen fan, but I don't think I've cried this much while reading one her books since I cried reading Lover Awakened.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I loved Crave, Olivia. It was better than Covet, for sure. I don't think you'd be disappointed. You won't know until you read it for yourself.

message 8: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Oh, I must hurry-up and read Crave then. I'm a sucker for books that make me all emo...

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Envy will DEFINITELY make you break out the hankies.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I just started Lord of the Vampires!

message 11: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Sep 27, 2011 12:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved Nicolai! "Mine!"
Rawr!!! LOL!

message 13: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Good gravy beans! Another series I'm going to have to try. Still have plans to get to Psy-Changeling before the end of the year.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Each book in this series is written by a different author, Lisa Kay. It was my intro into Gena Showalter, Jill Monroe, and Jessica Andersen's writing. Some of the books are better than others.

message 15: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Really? Wow. Interesting. I don't read any of those author.

Diana~ Love your review Dhes! I can't wait to read this series.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Diana! I enjoyed this one more than the others, no doubt about it. Love this book! I hope you do, too!!

message 18: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela James Totally agreed with your review, especially the section about how it wraps up the series. I felt the series was a bit disappointing in that there was really no wrap-up at all, no interaction between the siblings, and we really have no idea what part the other siblings played at the end. Why did they all have to be there?

message 19: by thuy (new) - rated it 5 stars

thuy I can't wait to read this one. nalini Singh is the whole reason I started this series. glad you liked.

message 20: by Melanie (last edited Oct 10, 2011 11:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melanie Sounds REALLY good - I can't wait to read it... you've definitely got me excited about this one!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Angela, this was such a fabulous book and to have nothing... no interaction before, during or after the battle... to see none of it... I honestly don't understand why it happened that way. I really is disappointing.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thuy, I hope you'll love it too!!

Melanie, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on this one, too.

message 23: by Shawna (last edited Oct 11, 2011 07:38AM) (new) - added it

Shawna Great review, Dhes! I'm a huge Nalini Singh fan and Gena Showalter (author of book one), but I'm already beyond overloaded with too many series. This sounds really good though. Maybe I'll just read Gena's and Nalini's and skip the other two books, or will that cause confusion when I read this one?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you, Shawna!

I don't think there would be any confusion at all. In fact, I think this one (which is the best of the 4) can be read as a stand alone if you wanted.

message 25: by Shawna (new) - added it

Shawna Thanks, Dhes!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I'm not going to read your review until I read this book, but I'm glad you loved it, D.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I did love it! Best of the 4, in my opinion!

Laura the Highland Hussy Shawna wrote: "Great review, Dhes! I'm a huge Nalini Singh fan and Gena Showalter (author of book one), but I'm already beyond overloaded with too many series. This sounds really good though. Maybe I'll just read..."

I think you could absolutely just read Gena's then Nalini's books.

message 29: by thuy (new) - rated it 5 stars

thuy um, it was kind of AWESOME. love nalini singh.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I agree, thuy! Very awesome!

KindleRomance Reviews Great review! I agree that they should have had a huge happy party at the end!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you, Kris. It feels so... unfinished, somehow.

message 33: by Lulu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lulu Excellent review. I loved this book too. I particularly liked the part at the end where Liliana is returned to her true physical form, and Micah just sort of looks at her and says well, I guess I'll get used to it. He honestly didn't care what she looked like. She was beautiful to him already. Loved it.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Lulu! I agree! I always find those kinds of stories so emotional. The Ugly Duchess is another one like that and I loved every minute of it!

message 35: by Lulu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lulu I'll check that one out too. Thanks, Dhes!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish You're welcome! It's a great historical romance.

message 37: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Wonderful review sweet Dhes! I have so many new series I want to start. I'll have to add this one to my pile too:)

BTW...How are the baby chicks doing?

message 38: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Oct 24, 2012 06:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Kat!

And HAHA! The babies aren't babies anymore! Did you see my status update? I posted a picture of them napping on my legs on the back porch. When we got them they were about 1.5 ounces, now they're all about 1 pound! LOL!

message 39: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne UniquelyMoi *Dhestiny* BlithelyBookish wrote: "Thanks, Kat!

LOL...I haven't seen your update. I'll try and find it now and take a look.